Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Apex - by Forgetful Jedi Knight

Default Apex - by Forgetful Jedi Knight

APEX

This saber is a reworking of a saber (Flourish 2.0) that I bought of a member of FX-Sabers a couple of years ago. Here is the original thread/design:

I really liked the design, and for those who know me, I REALLY like unique pieces. Anyway, I decided that although I liked the original saber, there were a couple of little things that I wanted to do differently ( switches / soundcard upgrade / and battery "upgrade").

Since I wanted to try to stay true to the original design, and after going through several designs and tons of changes, I decided to remake the whole middle body of the saber (the original "main body" is on the bottom).

The new choke still has the etched grooves, but instead of randomly drilled holes, the holes are drill to reflect the diamond pattern in the grip. The choke (faux crystal chamber) is lit by a cyan LED (to match the main blade) and there is also a red accent LED which goes on when the saber is in lockup, or the Crystalline Workshop font is being used. It acts like a warning light. The vents in the pommel and the choke design make for a fairly loud "reverse sound" like saber.

By adding a slightly larger extension, I was able to squeeze a 14650 pack in there, and I reused the original speaker, and accent LEDs. The ultimate result is the saber is about 3/4" shorter than the original, but I Really like how it came out.

The original Lux V Cyan bin 1 was replaced with a Tri-Rebel Blue/Cyan/Neutral White that is mixed for something that resembles a Cyan bin 1 with a White FoC

The Specs:

CF 5.08
    Soundfonts: Novastar, Fates (Madcow), Rainsizzle (Novastar), Resblade (Novastar), The Old Republic Jedi (A) (Nightstorm), Crystalline Workshop (Novastar)
    Tri Rebel (Blue/ Cyan/Neutral White) Cyan w/ White FoC
    7.4 Battery back (2 x 14670) w/ recharge port
    1.5W speaker

The Glams:

Select Build Shots:

I want to thank Tim for the excellent diamond pattern work, and an anonymous fellow master for the powder coating and miscellaneous machine work it took to make this project happen.

And before you ask... the video will be done when I finish the other build "Illustrious" that was going on alongside this one.
    Last edited by Forgetful Jedi Knight; 12-19-2014 at 12:59 PM.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

That's a rather exotic looking saber. Good job on the rebuild!
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Ah yes that Cyan blade fits with the design very nicely!

Welcome to saber building. You've taken your first step into a larger world.

"Don't get the idea that your [lightsaber] is a quick little project to be slapped together." - Luke Skywalker

Nice work man.
    _____________,.~-{o}-~.,____________

Very nice rebuild! Love the way the diamond pattern looks, very unique saber.

yeah, I love the diamond pattern as well! Good job FJK!!!
    LOCKHEED

I really like the design of the saber, from the pommel to the concave blade holder - really has a unique, exotic look to it. Nice job with this FJK!
    --------------------------Cadence--------------------------

a really interesting saber!

Thanks everyone!

SLF, long time no see.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com