Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: International Saber Travel

Default International Saber Travel

Hey all, I'm moving to Taiwan in a few weeks and was planning on just detaching the blades from my two sabers and transporting them in checked baggage. I could also send them UPS if that is a more viable option.

For those of you who have traveled or moved internationally and taken sabers with you, how did you do it? I just want to make sure it will get through customs. Taiwan says no weapons or toy weapons...but since it's more of a prop replica (and I figure that meant like no swords with false edges, etc) I think it would be fine. I'm a little worried about what the TSA would make of a metal tube with installed electronics in a checked bag, but if the x-rays are good it would just look like a cool flashlight.

Anyways, anything to help alleviate my concern would be good! Other advice is welcome too, of course.

Thanks!
    "We don't have to win. We only have to fight." - Mace Windu (Shatterpoint)

Well, considering they threw a world-class tantrum over six cans of nutritional supplement drink (I drink it because I don't have regular access to healthy food), and very nearly carted me off to "The Back Room" as a terrorist over the ordeal, I would definitely just ship it to your new place.

I have no love for the TSA.

Quote Originally Posted by BlessedWrath View Post
    Well, considering they threw a world-class tantrum over six cans of nutritional supplement drink (I drink it because I don't have regular access to healthy food), and very nearly carted me off to "The Back Room" as a terrorist over the ordeal, I would definitely just ship it to your new place.

I have no love for the TSA.
    I had to give up a bottle of teriyaki sauce. i thought about arguing over it but you know how that can turn out.

ticked me off. My biggest regret was that having left it behind I should have emptied it into the trash so that no TSA personnel be allowed to profit. Didn't think about. it until too late.
    The lightsaber hilt is capable of producing a blade of pure energy. The lightsaber hilt has proven to be completely safe. The saber blade however has not. Do not touch the operational end of the saber blade. Do not look directly at the operational end of the saber blade. Do not immerse the saber blade into your flesh, not even partially.

Were those both carry on issues? Or were they in your checked baggage?

First rule of checked bags.... never put anything in there you don't want stolen or broken. You can't have locks on your bag that aren't TSA approved because they have to open them to inspect your luggage. Ship them, packed well, with tracking and insurance. If the batteries are removable, take them out.

Mine was in checked baggage, not carry-on.

this is not the aluminium tube your looking for...(wave hand)
    ....Don't fear the Reaper....
    ....He's just a Sith Lord that has lost his lightsaber....

I have gone through numerous customs (South Africa, England, France, USA) with two sabers in my hand luggage and haven't had any problems. When officials have asked about my bags I have simply explained to them what they are and I have been allowed to board.

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent

Thanks for the tips! I called the TSA today and they said that they should be fine in either checked or carry on baggage. I will likely check them. Let you know how it goes!

Hey all!

I made it successfully to Taiwan. No problems at all with checking them. None at customs either.