Thread: Blade tip reflective question

Default Blade tip reflective question

Good morning

While I'm reading about blade tip, I had a doubt and an idea.

What kind of material is the reflective disc? Glass? Plastic?

It's possible make a small hole in the center of this reflective material? In this way the tip will be a little illuminated rather than beinig dark.

Another idea is this: If like a Cassegrain telescope the reflective disc is hyperbolic to concentrate light in the middle of the blade for better lighting.

Our opinion on these ideas?

I believe it is plastic. Some people drill away a small portion of the reflective disc for just this purpose. Other people remove a small ring of the reflective material from the outside of the disc. Still others remove the reflective disc entirely, and replace it with the plastic film from anti-static bags.

Feel free to experiment. There are several ways to help the tip light up.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

I cut 2mm of the edge away.

I've done all the ways listed. Trim the outside edge off (decent), cut out a hole in the center (meh), drill a hole into the center into the tip itself (horrible on a clear blade tip as it lights the drill hole up and that's it!), and the best method I've found and continue to use is removing the reflective disk and using a few layers of anti-static bag. Nice tip illumination and reflectivity back down the blade. As the other SS said, feel free to experiment. Different strokes for different folks and what-not.

Aluminum tape with a tiny hole in the center works nice. And you don't have to mess with any glue. It also acts as a good way to make the 3/4" copper caps that some of use as heat sinks fit better in the hilt.

Good stuff to have around.
    Darth Flatulous

Thanks for all the ideas

I've used several different methods. Another idea is automotive window tint. It reflects, but still allows some light through to the tip.