Thread: Planning saber for GF, have a question about how some parts work

Default Planning saber for GF, have a question about how some parts work

She's a big Quinlan Vos fan. Has the arm tattoo and everything.

She gave me a broken MRFX Obi-Wan, so I was going to recycle the soundboard and LED. (Her favorite color is Blue, so I figure as long as its sorta similar to QV's saber it'll be OK)

Here is what i have so far:
    QVbuild.jpg

anyway, the problem is that damn shroud. i want to try and have it butt up against something instead of just held on with screws, to give it a more finished look.

If I use the MHS Sleeve material:
    http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/MH...rial-P468.aspx

and a Trim Ring 1:
    http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Trim-Ring-1-P531.aspx

If i put the trim ring between the main body piece and the extension, will the ring protrude enough to stop the sleeve from sliding?
    The All-Father wove the skein of your life a long time ago. Go and hide in a hole if you wish, but you won't live one instant longer. Your fate is fixed. Fear profits a man nothing.

Yes it should... however, you would need a ring on each end, and it wouldn't necessarily solve the problem of twisting, just sliding up and down the hilt.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Oh, sorry. I will have a screw through the sleeve, i just didnt want the raw end of the sleeve just hanging there on the pommel side.

QVbuild.jpg
    The All-Father wove the skein of your life a long time ago. Go and hide in a hole if you wish, but you won't live one instant longer. Your fate is fixed. Fear profits a man nothing.

A good trick for a locking a shroud in place is to use a set screw from inside the hilt.

Drill and tap the hilt for a small set screw....Tim sells some in the shop that will work fine.....then install the set screw from the inside going out. You'll want to have the set screw only far enough in from the end that you can get an allen wrench on it to tighten it.

Anyways....turn the set screw out until it contacts the shroud and then snug it up. This will hold your shroud in place and you won't have any external fastners showing. The best thing about this technique is that it allows you to rotate the shroud to exactly where you want it so that it aligns with your switches, activation box, your belt clip or whatever else you plan to have on the hilt itself.

And FJK is right the shroud material will butt up against the trim ring just like your planning.
    There's a difference between knowing the path.....and walking the path.

awesome. Thank you guys so much!

Have you maybe thought about using a type of heatshrink material instead of a slip on shroud? If heated evenly it would look nice, not slip and would also give a grip area.

Council Member
    Jedi Master

You have it right. The trim rings would provide a nice finish for the shroud at the end and would come close to replicating the 'look' of the Vos shroud. However, you're not going to be able to use an LED from a Hasbro saber as they used string blades (unless you plan on transplanting the whole set up), and the Obi's are blue whereas Vos was green (or red depending).

If you're new, please take the time we all consider just as precious as you and READ!

GET LATHED!

Official BMF and LORD OF THE STRINGS

its a MRFX Obi-Wan, not the Hasbro one

No, I want to try and get it as close to Quinlan Vos's as i can, like this: http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...nlan-Vos-Saber

The saber wasn't stock, it was converted somewhere down the line. I noticed in another thread Cern posted. (I posted there too.)