Thread: Second saber build I've ever done.

Default Second saber build I've ever done.

Alright, first of all, I really want to thank the community for all the help they've been. I was able to lurk through and find mostly everything that I needed, especially things that had changed over the last several years since I built my first saber. Secondly, Tim, you are just awesome. Not only do I love mixing and matching the MHS parts, but you've made everything so simple to put together. Even electronics-wise. I'm not the greatest at soldering, but to build a simple saber now, I barely have to do any at all with the JST clips. So thanks for that, you're awesome!

Secondly, a short description. I've been tweaking the design quite a bit, and I don't think I'm finished with it just yet. I still need to add the Recharge port and the Covertec Clip. BUT I have some changes I have in mind first that I need to plan out before I permanently attach them.

Now, pictures!

IMG_20130516_214755.jpgIMG_20130516_214820.jpgIMG_20130516_214833.jpgIMG_20130516_214841.jpgIMG_20130516_215215.jpg

So, I'm running a Nano Biscotte sound board, an AV orange ring illuminated switch (which I'm pretty sure I wired up wrong the first time, as its never lit up. I think I fried the LED), several MHS parts, Black O-rings, a Blue Lux, a 3.7V Lithium rechargable, a premium speaker from the shop, and then as I said earlier, I'd like to add the recharge port and covertec clip. My pommel insert has the slot for a recharge port, but I just don't seem to have the room. I'm not so great at cramming the wires in apparently. At the same time, I think I need to build a sled to hold all the electronics, that way I can wire mostly everything up, then just slide it in, then I won't need nearly as much wiring in my opinion.

My other thought, is that my saber still looks very plain, simple, and generic. I would like to change that. The first thing that comes to mind is adding a custom shroud. I already have a sinktube that fits PERFECTLY over the MHS handle. I've also got an older ribbed extension piece that I could use to make the saber a little longer, thus making it easier to add in the electronics. If I do this, I'll need to drill and tap at least a couple of holes to hold the shroud in place, but also for the covertec knob, and then possibly the Recharge port if I decide to put it on the side of the handle, instead of the pommel insert.

Let me know what you guys think so far, and any suggestions are definitely welcome. I think the sled would help a lot with the clutter inside, and keep everything more secure in my opinion. While the ribbed extension would give me more room interior-wise, I may not need it with the sled. But, it also may help if I decide to add the recharge port on the side instead of the bottom. Thanks for looking/reading guys!

Honestly I like it the way it is. But a shroud could jazz it up a bit. I really like it. Great job

Thanks joshm74! I like it as well, its really well balanced as a one handed saber, yet I still have room for two hands if I need it. I just feel like its missing something... and I think a shroud could possibly solve that problem. I'll sketch up some ideas I have and see what I like best. If I do a shroud, I think I'll paint the main body underneath black, I really like the two tone look.

How well do the O-rings stay in place when you're swinging the saber? They look good but I can't imagine them staying in place very well.

They actually hold in place fairly well. They fit right into the grooves on the main hilt. I can force them to move though if I want, if I roll it just right, but friction from the machined grooves help keep them in place.

Some Trim rings may make the whole thing pop!

That sounds like a great idea Frank! I might look into that! I'm still trying to mock up some designs for what I want it to look at. I'm taking lots of inspiration from the gallery here on the forums.