Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Haven't touched a saber in years...

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Default Haven't touched a saber in years...

Well... hello people! I haven't touched a lightsaber in years now. I occasionally take out my built ones to show but I haven't built one in years. Some of you may remember I broke my ankle three years ago on my motorcycle. I wasn't walking without some sort of aid for six months after. I had to "cut and run" of sorts as my school obligations were top and even then I barely survived that semester. So I sold almost all my good stuff and shelved the rest to just get by.

In the mean time, I graduated with my masters just a few weeks ago! Looking for a job and facing the prospect of moving from my college town and was going through my stuff. Other than job applications I have little to do. I decided I should do what I could to get some of the left projects finished or sold to finance the moving.

The story on this saber was it's mine. It was a design of my own that wouldn't be with MHS parts and such. I originally wanted a brass and copper lightsaber. No one wanted to machine brass for me as it was too tough and/or expensive. So I settled on aluminum and maybe I'll get it anodized some day. For now it's still pretty snazzy. Today I polished the aluminum and copper, filed the edges like crazy, and then drilled for the holes for the sub-mini LED's.

So here it is today:

I think tomorrow I'll drill all the screws. Then maybe cut out a spot for the PLI. My idea was always that the copper lower part would slide down to reveal the charge port under it near the middle. Then a small slider switch would trigger a PLI (that is cut out when it's charging of course) when it's pulled down.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

Long time, no see, Xwing. Make sure you stop by the Kegger - it's been a while.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Yeah, I was just poking my head over there. I'll probably post soonish there. I did look around to see if someone had more posts than me at this point... took JLo a few years but it appears she has!
    RED LEADER Standing by!

Good to see you back X-Wing! And congratulations on getting your Master's degree! I myself haven't built a saber in a few years, though I've been collecting components to eventually get back into building.

I look forward to seeing how this saber of your's progresses.
    Follow Your Bliss

Jedi Padawan
    Jedi Padawan

Welcome back and congratulations on your Masters! I was just coming online when your accident occurred. Since then I banged up my Harley once and ruined it the second time so I feel you there. That's a nice, clean design you've got there, it'll be good to see it finished.

Knowledge must be balanced by Practice.
    Practice must be balanced by Experience.
    Through Knowledge, Practice, and Experience
    we gain Wisdom.

-Boj-Vaati Mau
    Jedi Sentinel, Jar'Kai practitioner,
    and Instctor at Strafe Plains Temple

Saber Guild: Strafe Plains Temple
    The Rebel Legion

Long time no see. Yeah I haven't built a saber in a loooooooooooooooooooooooooong time either. I got like three or four just waiting for finishing touches and just can't do it. Of course I have no Masters to blame it on.
    Congrats and hope your new build brings you some enjoyment.

Hi xwingband, long time no see. Cool that you got your master's degree.

Just an FYI, I never did get the two tri-rebels I ordered from you several years ago or a refund of the money I spent on them. I know that was due to your motorcycle accident and school but since that's all over with and you're back, I thought I'd try to hit you up for a refund... one last time.
    Last edited by ARKM; 05-15-2013 at 11:36 AM.

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...0Saber%20Hilts

From Wikipedia: "Internet Explorer slows down GIFs if the framerate is 20 frames per second or higher and Microsoft reports that Google Chrome and Safari also slow down some GIF animations."

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Today got really side tracked... good thing but I didn't do anything with the saber.

ARKM, shoot me a message here. I have a few and with any luck they may have been yours and I spaced on while trying to "close out" my jobs. I could probably even make a few more as I know I have LEDs and PCB's left, but my solder paste has long since gone bad.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

Thanks xwingband. PM sent.

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...0Saber%20Hilts

From Wikipedia: "Internet Explorer slows down GIFs if the framerate is 20 frames per second or higher and Microsoft reports that Google Chrome and Safari also slow down some GIF animations."

Welcome back!