Thread: Couple Newbie Questions

Default Couple Newbie Questions

Good afternoon!

I recently purchased the items to start my first saber. Pretty stoked, but I have a couple of questions. I purchased the Hilt style 4 with standard style switch hole and 16mm Anti Vandal Latching Red Ring Switch, but wasn't aware that the switch doesn't fit into the standard sized hole. Would it be best to just drill into the standard hole and expand it, or purchase a different switch all together? I also picked up the 1" thick plastic blade, but it's too wide to fit into the style 24 blade holder. Do you guys just sand down the plastic for the portion that should be inserted into the blade? I also noticed that it's simply an open tube, rather than one with a rounded end on it. Is there a recommended piece to buy to round it off, or some sort of technique that I can use to round it off? Maybe melting the plastic in some fashion?

Thank you!

For your blade needs http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/White-shouldered-1-thick-walled-blade-tip-with-reflective-disc-P630.aspx
    For the hole, you have 2 choices; 1 you could get the standard size switches , Or 2 drill the hole larger for the AV switch. If you do, I recommend 2 of these. The Av's don't sit well on the hilt by themselves, and these help cover any fudges. The reason 2, you use 1 inside so your nut will have something to flush up to instead of the rounded inside of the hilt.

Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.

Any recommendations on getting the blade to fit in the handle?

Quote Originally Posted by Niris View Post
    Any recommendations on getting the blade to fit in the handle?
    You likely will have to sand down the portion that will go inside the blade holder.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

Cut off the flared end and it will fit fine.
    Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

If you're referring to the tip, then yes, there is another piece to buy. The standard tips are rounded; there are also bullet-shaped tips if you like pointy sabers. The tips fit firmly into the end of the polycarbonate tube, but you will likely need some epoxy or superglue to make sure it doesn't fly off when striking objects with the blade.

Depending on the type of blade stock you bought, you may also need transparent gift wrap. Joann Fabrics has the right kind in 40" long spools for eight dollars. Roll up six feet of this wrap, cut flush with the end of the blade, and seal it in with a little hot glue (if you like). Some people just stick it in the blade and call it good (like myself), which is also acceptable.

There is a blademaking tutorial floating around somewhere. I do not have the link onhand.

Quote Originally Posted by BlessedWrath View Post
    There is a blademaking tutorial floating around somewhere. I do not have the link onhand.
    Boom, linked: 'How to construct and LED Blade'
    That's what I did for mine, and they look better now. But I think I got sand in one from using it to dual on the beach.
    I got some clear gift wrap at a party supply store(you know the one), 40" wide, and some crazy footage long (like 50 or 100) not very costly at all.
    ~ The Yin ~

“Yeah I’m pack’n heat! It’s to prevent anyone from making me cold.”

For the saber building Younglings and Padawans: Basic Saber Building and The Saber Building Dictionary!