Thread: Looking for help and advice... Oh, and new to the forum

Default Looking for help and advice... Oh, and new to the forum

So, first off I suppose I should perhaps introduce myself. I'm new to this forum, and realitivy new to the saber scene. That said, I do already own several MHS sabers including one that is incomplete because I ordered...somewhere else, assuming when I "build your own saber" my instruction was clear as to what I wanted. But after some thinking and posting on their forum I've been directed here as this would be the place to complete my empty hilt to the closest of my personal liking.

I look around this forum, and I don't know where to start. So, if I'm asking these questions in the wrong place, please direct me to the correct forum.

What I have currently is a MHS pummel, emitter, and a hilt with 4 holes for 'RBG' soundboard and 2X14500 Li-Ion battery holder and speaker. I do not have an LED or any switches. What I would like to do is put in an LED module for red, blue, and green (or possibly some other options... this store and forum seems to be full of them), and 4 illuminated AV switches. Even better would be if there are switches that are flush to the hilt or raised as little as possible. From what I've heard to this point, if I were to go with 4 illuminated AVs, I may need to add resistors the setup.

I'm fairly sure I could do the wiring with a little guidence and advice from the enterweb. The bigger issue is finding correct part and instruction to put together what I'm looking for.

Thank you in advance to anyone that is able to help.

Corry Jinn

First, welcome to the Forums!

I don't know where else you would be able to order a MHS DIY saber other than TCSS, or why you would need 4 AV switches. RBG refers to a type of main LED, it is not a soundboard. You also said you own several MHS sabers, I'm kind of curious to know where you got them from?

I strongly recommend you read through all the links in my signature, those are generally great places for the beginners to start at.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Sorry for the confussion, I wasn't clear. It wasn't a DIY saber, it was build your own from a set of different hilts, pummels, and emmiters. The hilt has 4 switch holes drilled for a red, blue, and green LED module. I simply didn't order it corectly, and the company didn't understand what I was looking for, a complete saber. I also ordered the soundboard with attached battery pack and speaker. Again, sorry if I wasn't clear in what I have and what I'm looking to do. I will definatly look through your links though.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Corry Jinn View Post
    Sorry for the confussion, I wasn't clear. It wasn't a DIY saber, it was build your own from a set of different hilts, pummels, and emmiters. The hilt has 4 switch holes drilled for a red, blue, and green LED module. I simply didn't order it corectly, and the company didn't understand what I was looking for, a complete saber. I also ordered the soundboard with attached battery pack and speaker. Again, sorry if I wasn't clear in what I have and what I'm looking to do. I will definatly look through your links though.

Thanks
    What kind of soundboard did it come with? We will need pictures of this to see if anything is salvageable.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."

I don't know if it is allowed to mention another company, as this is a forum for a store. (one which I plan on buying from, mind you) The hilt is from UltraSabers, the soundboard is an Obsidian 2.0

I don't know if it is allowed to mention another company, as this is a forum for a store. (one which I plan on buying from, mind you) The hilt is from UltraSabers, the soundboard is an Obsidian 2.0
    It's OK. I kinda suspected that you were going to say it was theirs.

Well, I'll be blunt here, personally, I don't deal with their "stuff", and I don't know many here who would. If you are going to "build this yourself", I would probably start by writing off all of their internals, including the sound card and "starting over".

There is another thread that is going on here where a guy wanted to make a saber with the tons of switches as well. You may want to seriously read through that thread as well.

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...Tri-Rebel-Star

Well, the only internals I even have are the soundboard. I appreciate your suggestion, but I would like to know why. I don't need or even want a board that does anything fancy at all, and a new one will add additional cost. It will also likly be overkill for what I'm looking for. Just basic sound is plenty enough for me. I have no desire for flash or shimmering effects.

If I do in fact have to get a new one, so be it. But before I do I'd just like to know why and/or whats wrong with what I have.

Well, the only internals I even have are the soundboard. I appreciate your suggestion, but I would like to know why. I don't need or even want a board that does anything fancy at all, and a new one will add additional cost. It will also likly be overkill for what I'm looking for. Just basic sound is plenty enough for me. I have no desire for flash or shimmering effects.

If I do in fact have to get a new one, so be it. But before I do I'd just like to know why and/or whats wrong with what I have.
    Well, I could go into a lot of reasons why... questionable quality, etc, etc. but I really won't (that company isn't discussed much here, or on other saber forums, and I am a member of all the other major ones - and there IS a reason why). Only die-hard Ultrasabers "fans" deal with that soundboard. Most who know better (those who build for themselves, or the major Sabersmiths of the hobby), don't, and that's all I'm going to say about it.

If you are willing to upgrade to something that "we" know works and how to make it "work", great. If you want to work with what you have, I wish you a LOT of luck, you'll most likely need it.

Also one other thing I didn't mention earlier, just because they claim their hilts are MHS compatible, it might not necessarily be the case. A picture of the hilt you have would also be helpful, including any LED heat sink (if they even gave you one).
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines