Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rewiring multicolor LED to be a different colour

Default Rewiring multicolor LED to be a different colour

Hey gang. I have an saber with blue blade with white FOC. it looks like a multicolour LED, and I was wondering if it's possible to rewire it to be a red blade with white FOC. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Here is a pic of the LED. I hope it's as simple as moving the purple wire to a different contact. btw the purple and red are wired together under the heat sink. IMG_1383.jpgThanks
    ps: I've tried researching on the forums but having a very hard time finding a clear answer. Thanks
    Last edited by Waisulee; 05-10-2013 at 03:18 PM.
    ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

You would have to move both the purple and black wires from the blue die and attach them to the (+) and (-) of the red die. I believe that it is the other 2 large pads to the left of the ones wired in the picture.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

So if my thinking is correct I move the black wire from the small negative to the large negative on the left and move the purple wire to the positive on the left. Is this correct? Any confirmation? I've rewired multicoloured LEDs before but they were labeled and as such easy to do, but that one didn't have clash. Thanks
    ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

Quote Originally Posted by Waisulee View Post
    So if my thinking is correct I move the black wire from the small negative to the large negative on the left and move the purple wire to the positive on the left. Is this correct? Any confirmation? I've rewired multicoloured LEDs before but they were labeled and as such easy to do, but that one didn't have clash. Thanks
    You need to identify the dice to know which color is which. Assuming that that you are showing us is a LEDEngin RGBW, try this PDF, it should help you identify which die is which color. There should be a white dot on the star which is a reference marker.

http://www.ledengin.com/files/produc...LZ4-04MDC6.pdf
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."

I think you've identified the correct LED. The white dot is near the redish square in the LED. I'll save the PDF but I still can't decern the correct wiring from the PDF. But I'm hoping you're correct in your instructions
    ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

Quote Originally Posted by Waisulee View Post
    I think you've identified the correct LED. The white dot is near the redish square in the LED. I'll save the PDF but I still can't decern the correct wiring from the PDF. But I'm hoping you're correct in your instructions
    If you have a AA or AAA battery pack, you could put a couple of batteries into it, and touch the wires to the LED pads and see what color the LED glows, red to positive, and black to negative. Put a paper towel over it so you don't blind yourself.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

Assuming it's an LED Engin RGBW, you should be able to use a 2xAA "test pack" to identify the colors. You don't want to hold the contacts in place for minutes on end, because this will be unregulated voltage, but it will be enough to confirm which colors are which. Positive (normally red) wire goes to the + symbol, negative (normally black) goes to the - symbol. Be sure to shield your eyes and do not look directly into the LED. The red die will have a much lower vF than the others, which will make it light up many times brighter during this test.

I have used this method at least three times for my saber. I know I shouldn't have had to rewire my LED that often, but...there were complications. Point is it worked for me.

The reason I say this is that sometimes the pinout varies from component to component. If your LED is not manufactured by the same company that makes TCSS LEDs, for example, it could have the blue die where the red one normally goes. Pinout diagrams are incredibly useful, but only if you know which component you're holding.

Once again, if you choose to use the test pack method, do not sustain power to any channel for longer than a second or two; just enough to confirm which one is which. Shield your eyes and do not look directly into the LED. Eye damage is permanent. Be careful and be safe.

EDIT: ForgetfulJediKnight, you beat me to it.

Quote Originally Posted by BlessedWrath View Post
    EDIT: ForgetfulJediKnight, you beat me to it.
    Yeah, well you know how that experience thing works...
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

What is it they say? Good choices come from experience, experience comes from bad choices?

Quote Originally Posted by BlessedWrath View Post
    What is it they say? Good choices come from experience, experience comes from bad choices?
    Either bad choices, or lots of research and experimentation. Mine mostly came from the latter.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines