Thread: What's the best angle for the lens for these conversions?

Default What's the best angle for the lens for these conversions?

Hi - I see a lot of people saying to get the 5 degree lens, but Tim says in the Lux Rebel Star description that the 8.7MM is best with the Lux. What is the consensus? I am going to convert a Hasbro FX Signature Vader with removable blade to a Lux deep red. I want to avoid that light bloom near the emitter that I see sometimes.

I got this saber off of eBay for $50. The guy selling it said the blade didn't light up, but I got it to work. The contacts are just worn or something. Someone must have been hard on this one because you have to hold the blade real still or it does shut off. The conversion should fix that issue and make is stronger.

Also -is it worth keeping the stock blade or should I upgrade? I am not planning on doing any combat. Just want it to look as good as it can.

Well, we used to only have 5 and 10 degree lenses. The 5 degrees tended to work better for longer blades, while the 10 degrees worked better with the shorter ones. Blade thickness and diffusion material played a part as well. The 8.7 degree lenses are a good mix of both, and work well in any blade. The lenses aren't particularly expensive. You could always get one of each and see which one you prefer.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Quote Originally Posted by amadeus768 View Post
    Also -is it worth keeping the stock blade or should I upgrade? I am not planning on doing any combat. Just want it to look as good as it can.
    IMHO i prefer the LED "Corbin style" blade that TCSS sells over all other blades A) it is designed to use a single LED where the Force FX blades are designed for an LED string B) the core effect that it gives off looks really cool but it is your call you could alwese start with the stock blade see how it looks and if you don't like it get a new blade

Awesome. I did order both 8.7 and 5 to see what works best. I have a longer 38in battle blade for another saber I will try out once I get it built, but I think I might try a Corbin style blade, too, so I have one of each. I like the shorter blades, though. I don't think I would ever go longer than 34 or 36 in again.