Thread: Hilt Wrapping

Default Hilt Wrapping

Hi guys,

After looking around in the forums for a few months, I've finally decided to make my own saber.

I've seen that a lot of people wrap their hilts in different materials, namely different fabrics. I think that this adds a lot of character to the saber, and gives it a nice texture. How do you attach these to the hilts? Is it glue? Or do you simply wrap it extremely tight?

Thanks for the help.

i've used glue and just tightly wrapped. it would just depend on the material and where it is being used
    ....Don't fear the Reaper....
    ....He's just a Sith Lord that has lost his lightsaber....

what material and where do you get it for like leather wrap or cloth?

Thanks,

I was planning to use a lighter fabric, idk what yet, around a smooth extension. Which fabric do you generally use?

I have done leather by tight wraping as it will gain some shrink, but in time it will slack so I tac glue them now, or you can always cord wrap much like this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFlfE8DITxc para wrapping I think would make for an interesting saber, maybe on one of my future dummy sabers. There are many ways to do corded wrappings as well . like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHPeKSq7ReY
    Last edited by MrCafe; 05-05-2013 at 01:09 PM.
    _____________,.~-{o}-~.,____________

I've seen wrapping that was held on by tight lacing; Asharad Hett sabers are done that way. Rahm Kota sabers use samurai sword type wrapping [I forget the Japanese name for it right now lol]. I've also seen thin leather wrapping that was held in place by a shroud with cutouts for the wrap material to show through. Adhesives, Buttonhead screws, Wire wrapping etc are also options for securing wrappings...like many aspects of this hobby the possibilities for one's saber are limited only by one's own aesthetic taste, skills and creativity - Good Luck!