Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Rogue9607's Scrap Saber

For what it's worth, I like the hammered copper best. At least, in the image you posted. Seeing it in real life may show different results. Here, however, it presents enough of a contrast to make the hilt more visually appealing. The Gold was too light in tone and the black, to me, looked redundant. The copper offsets the rest of the colors and the hammered look gives the emitter an interesting, unexpected texture to the sleek design. Just my two cents.
    "Because your own strength is unequal to the task, do not assume that it is beyond the powers of man; but if anything is within the powers and province of man, believe that it is within your own compass also."
    -Marcus Aurelius, one of the Five Good Emperors of Rome

I agree with Skinnerman.

Whoa, that etching is really awesome! Really nice saber.

I'd make another one, similar to this, but weathered, like some sort of very old relic.

Copper for sure. Looking at the etch pattern I wouldn't think I'd like it but it looks much better after the process. You say etchant so I'm guessing this is not salt water etching. How did you etch it? While I agree the pommel needs something I wouldn't do too much and would consider matching to the blade holder colour or minimal etching like some stripes or something of the sort.

For that kind of saber, in my humble opinion, black one makes it's design clean and elegant.

Nice hilt. I really like the final designs. I more like the black myself. The copper does make the hilt more feminine. Also the hilt looks like from OR era.
    "Your move!" -Obi-wan kenobi-

Thank you for all the opinions. I keep changing my mind on this, but I keep coming back to the black though that could change once I do some kind of hilt etching. The spray paint is holding up reasonably well for the moment, and I'll probably stick with it until both sabers are complete and then try to do something more permanent. Life has prevented too much saber work lately, but the good news is that I'm back at it working on a couple of projects for Dragon*con. The bad news is that these two sabers are lower on the priority list. Best case is that I'll have both finished and functioning, but that may be overly ambitious. My top priority is a more accurate Satele saber. I'll be starting a build thread on that one shortly.

I love it. Really like the etched look. Do you make any to sell?

"Fred Baby" is alive! I now have a custom saber for myself that lights up. There's no sound, but that was the intent. The switch in the pommel is a bit odd, I know, but I wanted to be able to change led colors without opening the hilt or any crazy electronics, and this was fast/easy.

The top middle and right compare to the MR Mace Windu that I've been using on troops.

Force Aware

I love the leather and bevel work. The subtlety and flow of it all looks great with the emitter! Quick question: could you possibly point me in the direction of good toner transfer paper (I can only find ads talking specifically about etching PCBs)? In the future I was going to try and etch a wood grain pattern into some shroud work, which I know I can't personally stencil with an exacto knife. xD>