Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: A tribute to Slothfurnace's Derelict

Default A tribute to Slothfurnace's Derelict

Ever since I came upon Slothfurnace on the internet all those years ago, I have always been in awe of his work. One of my personal favorites of his sabers was Derelict. So, I made my own that borrows heavily from Derelict. Sorry to be unoriginal in my design Sloth. Think of it as the Master (you) inspiring his pupils (the rest of us saberfolk).
    The saber is not finished yet, as I have needed to gut it and reorganize all of the electronics. I have also painted several parts of it since these photos were taken. I also still need to build the LED string for the blade, which will be green. It has a 2005 MR Luke ROTJ soundboard, as I really like the tone of the sounds on that board.

Nazi 017.jpgNazi 018.jpgNazi 019.jpg
    Last edited by Renaissance Jedi; 10-16-2013 at 06:39 AM.

I don't blame you for wanting a version of the Derelict, it's an amazing fusion between the prequels and the original series hilts. I'd make one meself if I had the resources. Wonderful work! I'm more than a little jealous...Sounds like this will be a sweet build when you're done.
    "Because your own strength is unequal to the task, do not assume that it is beyond the powers of man; but if anything is within the powers and province of man, believe that it is within your own compass also."
    -Marcus Aurelius, one of the Five Good Emperors of Rome

Nice. I don't think he will mind. Its your own in a way.
    "Your move!" -Obi-wan kenobi-

More photos soon to come! Don't forget to like on facebook to see some of my other projects!
    https://www.facebook.com/theRenaissanceJedi

Here it is, all painted. I came up with a way to weather the painted parts a bit. I didn't want them to be solid black, so I mixed paint with paint thinner, dumped it out on rags, and then rubbed the rags on the parts. The paint stuck in some areas and not in others due to the paint-paint thinner mixture. I decided not to use the red graflex button as Sloth did, partially because it made it so close to Derelict, but also because with one of the graflex glass eyes in the hole (unfortunately I forgot to put it in when I took the photos), the whole saber looks a little more "streamlined". Also the glass eye acts as a secondary blade retention screw. There is also a bit of polycarbonate blade sticking out of it. This will become the bit that is in the emitter and lights up when there is no blade, other wise I just have a big empty whole and a fancy metal tube that makes noise. The "blade plug" as I call it, will not be that long; I will cut the length down once I decide what the blade plug should look like. Right now I have no idea. Any suggestions?

photo 2.jpgphoto 3.jpgphoto 4.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/theRenaissanceJedi
    Last edited by Renaissance Jedi; 04-18-2013 at 02:56 PM.

Default Update

So I finally got around to making the blade plug. I am really pleased with how it turned out. No LED in there yet, and I trashed the DIN plug I had, so I need to pick up another.
    Lightsaer and sonic update 002.jpgLightsaer and sonic update 003.jpgLightsaer and sonic update 004.jpg

I repainted the Ace Rocket pommel and the grip because they were not dark enough in my opinion.
    Lightsaer and sonic update 011.jpgLightsaer and sonic update 012.jpg

It looks good. I'm sure Sloth would be proud.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

So, for some completely unknown reason, my Luke ROTJ board that I am using for this saber stopped working. It worked, I turned everything off, tried to turn it on again, and nothing. Not one damn blip, no puff of smoke. Nothing. I know that it is not the battery because it was fully charged. I do not know what could be wrong. I crossed absolutely no wires. The board doesn't even heat up as if there were some current flowing to it. Nada, nothing, zip, zilch. What do I do?

Quote Originally Posted by Renaissance Jedi View Post
    So, for some completely unknown reason, my Luke ROTJ board that I am using for this saber stopped working. It worked, I turned everything off, tried to turn it on again, and nothing. Not one damn blip, no puff of smoke. Nothing. I know that it is not the battery because it was fully charged. I do not know what could be wrong. I crossed absolutely no wires. The board doesn't even heat up as if there were some current flowing to it. Nada, nothing, zip, zilch. What do I do?
    Offhand, I would say an upgrade to a NB probably would be a good idea. I would also make sure the battery is holding and outputting the charge. If you have a recharge port, that could be the culprit. Those do tend to fail on a fairly regular basis.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com