Thread: PC switch question

Default PC switch question

Anybody know what the forward amps output for the main switch is on the petit crouton?

"You must trust that the components that form your lightsaber are meant to be together. There is no other way. It is the Force that binds them." = Professor Huyang

Quote Originally Posted by JediEngineer View Post
    Anybody know what the forward amps output for the main switch is on the petit crouton?
    If you are talking about the output from the 3.3V pad, it is 20 mA. Other than that, I have no idea what you are asking about.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

No, what I mean is the current going to the activation switch... I found an old switch that would look great but it can only handle about 50mA.

"You must trust that the components that form your lightsaber are meant to be together. There is no other way. It is the Force that binds them." = Professor Huyang

It's less than 50mA for sure. I've seen people wire up their boards incorrectly and hook 20ma accent LEDs to the switch points. The accent LEDs lit up a bit dim, but didn't blow, so I'm assuming it's less than 20mA.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Just to clarify, according to the PC manual the accent pads put out 3.3V at 18mA.

Quote Originally Posted by TrypWyr View Post
    Just to clarify, according to the PC manual the accent pads put out 3.3V at 18mA.
    The accent pads do that, the main 3.3V (which is what I was talking about) can put out a wee bit more, but in reality .02 mA mainly is a battery PCB current burp- IF the LED even draws that much current.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Yeah, it felt silly posting that over such a trivial amount, but just in case someone found this thread while looking for an answer, I figured it should be stated since that's what's in the manual...

True, the accent pads put out 18mA, but that wasn't the question being asked. JediEngineer has a nonstandard switch that he wants to use, and it doesn't handle much current.

I only noted that some people have accidentally hooked up accent LEDs to the *switch* pads on their boards, and the LED lights up anyhow. The switch pads put out some current, but it's less than 20mA. Since his switch is only rated for 50mA, he shouldn't have any issues using that switch.

If I had one on the bench right now, I'd measure the current. Sadly, I don't have any spare PCs lying around.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!