Thread: Candesce

Default Candesce

This is my first MHS saber. I have built several hilts before, both using sink tube and PVC, but this is the first one with electronics in it. I wanted to do something simple, but still have some flare to it so I choose to do a shroud over a basic blank hilt. I wanted it to echo the style of my favorite saber, Luke's ANH, which is I think the most iconic lightsaber so I cut the end in the S curve shape with similar square cutouts and cut grooves in the grip area to be visually similar to the rubber grips on Luke's. I did it in brass for the contrast with the aluminum and to give it an older sort of feel. I also wanted it to be an Old Republic era weapon, from say 30 to 20 years before the Clone Wars and for it to seem well used but not abused or beat up.

I'm not sure I am totally happy with the shroud. I am not terribly fond of the wide groves in the grip, but I can always come up with new ideas and just replace it later. As I said, this was my first attempt and I am pleased with how it turned out. I think I will leave it unpolished and let it tarnish a bit and see how I feel about it then. I am hoping it will give it more of the "used" feel that I am looking for.

Details:
    Blade holder 19
    7" plain body section
    Pommel style 8 with insert 1
    Custom cut sink tube shroud sanded down to brass
    4 AA batteries
    Hasbro econo soundboard
    White P4 with two yellow Roscolux filters

Candesce.jpgTop.jpgBottom.jpgIgnited.jpg

That's the good thing about shrouds. They're so easy to swap out if you don't like them.

I'll give you compliments on it anyhow. You did a fine job with the straight lines in the grooves. It's not easy to get long straight lines like that. Bravo on your first illuminated saber!
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Nice! Clean and simple aesthetic, with the ability to adapt if you so choose. Ditto on SS's compliment on the straight groove lines. You could always add leather or rubber infill panels to the grooves, as one idea, if you wanted to add some texture (but would make changing the shroud more difficult).

Turned out just like you wanted. Adaptable and has that OR feel to it. I like it. Good job!

Looks good! Definitely something to be proud of for your first saber with electronics. I, for one, like the look of the cut grooves in the grip (very clean), but amwolf is right - you can always add other material or maybe cut some grips sold in the store to go for a different look/feel.
    --------------------------Cadence--------------------------

efinitely a good saber. Way better job on the shroud than what I could ever do. I say keep it. I kinda like the shroud as is same with the hilt itself. The yellow blade color is nice too.
    "Your move!" -Obi-wan kenobi-