Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Potential Shadowing with a FOC led string

Default Potential Shadowing with a FOC led string

Hello,

I'm start to get bits together to do a LED string blade and I've seen various post of people saying if you have multiple strings in a blade you can get shadowing. Whilst I was just going to put one led string in it occurs to me that I will need a second for FoC. Will this present a problem or is there any advice on how to do this?

Well, you could go for a string of RGB LED's. That way you don't have any shadowing, and you still get all the colours you want.

Official Owner of Skottsaber at Bowling

Not really sure that is a possibly. If you have say cf or pc there are separate pads for the foc. I was just wondering if people have woven the led string together, braded them or just put up with it and try and compensate with diffusers?

I was wondering the same thing, about using RGB leds. I'm going to be working on my first LED String saber soon, but it will be a simple setup with no FoC. So, I don't have any experience with LED String to know if it is possible to string RGB LEDs. Don't they have 4 leads on them?
    [thank you Google]. Yes, they do.
    ~ The Yin ~

“Yeah I’m pack’n heat! It’s to prevent anyone from making me cold.”

For the saber building Younglings and Padawans: Basic Saber Building and The Saber Building Dictionary!

Certain boards will allow FoC effects without dedicating an entire die to the function. With the main string set to 90% and the FoC ranging from 95-100%, the blade would simply flash a brighter color. If used on one main blade string, I honestly don't see how it could cast shadows.

I you are not using a scrolling type blade driver and you want FoC why are you using a string? Strings are less robust, much more difficult to make, and costs a lot more.

I like strings for several reasons, but they do have drawbacks like you mentioned. A lot of people want the best of everything, so they try to cram as many features into a saber as possible. I do, anyway. If I could get away with a color-change string AND FoC? You bet I would try.

The worst that can happen is a failed attempt.

I guess my point is. If you do go the length to make this string you might as well use a board that can scroll because that is the main advantage of a string.

I'd have to agree with that. For me, the greatest draw is even lighting, but I would be lying if I said the scrolling effect wasn't cool too. I had ideas on how to get the best of both worlds, but I'm not doing a string blade any time soon. That will have to come when I have more money.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunrider View Post
    I guess my point is. If you do go the length to make this string you might as well use a board that can scroll because that is the main advantage of a string.
    I want to make a LED string primarily to see if I can but also my intention is to lay my hands on a CF-LS when they come back into stock however I have no patients so in order to have something to work on in the mean time I bought a PC. The original intention was to have 2 led strings as I wanted to create a purple with white clash and I've not managed to fine dual led purple. I didn't realise you could create FOC with RGB LEDs though, that might be a better way to do it. I've looked into changeable colour thing and just assumed you had to have a separate circuit attached to the FOC pads on cards.