Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Transparency

Followed the build log, just gonna say this is beautiful love the way you did the crystal chamber and windows for it!
    Clicky Sig =>

Great job. I like the original pommel better. Looks great overall. My only crit is it would look better IMO with a few inches shorter between the pommel and chamber. Also it's difficult to tell in pics but string blades should be the brightest which makes me wonder if there's room for improvement there or just photo conditions. Regardless, great saber.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Hambone View Post
    It's the string blade. I used LEDs with a narrower viewing angle for the farther end of the blade to give it a slight tapered look. It was strongly emphasized by the way my camera picked up the glare. In real life, the blade has a more consistent glow, but it does appear slightly brighter closer to the emitter.
    These string blades can have a voltage drop at the far end making it dimmer. It is good to make sure you have less than .3 ohms resistance from one end to the other. A small copper wire or braid can be added to fix this.

Yeah, something looks a little off in the string blade. It has the bright flare at the emitter and fades like a single LED through a focusing lens. I'm thinking something isn't quite balancing because it doesn't look as full and even as most string blades do.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunrider View Post
    These string blades can have a voltage drop at the far end making it dimmer. It is good to make sure you have less than .3 ohms resistance from one end to the other. A small copper wire or braid can be added to fix this.
    Thank you Sunrider. I'll have to try that. When adding the wire, do you solder it at each LED?
    "I see you have constructed a new lightsabre. Your skills are complete."

Blade plug and final details to include a pommel comparison.

2013-03-26 19.25.47.jpg2013-03-26 19.26.15.jpg2013-03-26 19.27.44.jpgPommel compare.jpg

Definitely the slanted pommel with that saber. The other pommel is a really nice one, but it doesn't seem to fit in with the design of the rest of this saber.

I guess you'll have to build another.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Hambone View Post
    Thank you Sunrider. I'll have to try that. When adding the wire, do you solder it at each LED?
    No not every led just here & there will work but it will probably look better if it is more flush.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Serpent View Post
    Definitely the slanted pommel with that saber. The other pommel is a really nice one, but it doesn't seem to fit in with the design of the rest of this saber.

I guess you'll have to build another.
    Definitely. I start on my daughter's this week.