Thread: Chassis System

Default Chassis System

I know that others on here have used different methods to secure there batteries and sound boards in their sabers. I was curious what type of materials people in the saber community use to secure them.

I know that the store we have the chassis discs and insert for holding the batteries and soundboard. I was wondering what others use in a 1 1/4 sinktube and MHS besides the chassis materials in the stores

I've been thinking about 3D printing a custom inner chassis.

For my first saber, I used a piece of 1.25 inch pvc sink tube. I sanded it down so that it fit inside the main body parts (doesn't fit inside he ribbed section though) and carved it with a dremel tool so it could hold most of the electronics. I've seen alot of really nice sabers that use chassis' like that, which is what gave me the idea.
    H - "Your shelter is secure, is it?"
    M - "Of course it is! See for yourself just how powerless you are!"
    H - "Roger that."
    M - O_O

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    I've been thinking about 3D printing a custom inner chassis.
    Perhaps something like this:

http://www.shapeways.com/model/67484...ductBox-search

If you want it in metal is gets expensive very quickly. But it is a really neat idea.

Back before the excellent chassis disk system available here now I tried plastic M&M tubes, pill bottles, film canisters and plastic and rubber hoses as well as the PVC plumbing tube...its a matter of finding something non-conductive that your electronics will fit in that is also the right outside diameter measurement to fit inside the inside diameter measurement of your metal hilt part[s]. You could even use wood of the required diameter and drill/saw/carve/sand recesses for soundboards, batteries, wiring etc. Just be sure of your measurements because potential chassis parts that may work in a Graflex or 1.5" sinktube may not always work in some MHS parts or 1.25" sinktube so it can be a good idea to take a vernier/dial/digital caliper or micrometer to precisely check before buying when you go hunting for potential chassis parts. Good Luck!