Thread: Hello all. Need a bit of help for a new builder

Default Hello all. Need a bit of help for a new builder

I just recently became interested in building sabers, and have done nothing the last three days but research different builds and all that. I purchased my hilt from MHS and just had a few questions about setting up the electronics. I went with Hilt style 4 with guarded switch hole, but I want to go with the av style switch because those look really cool when they're turned on. I recently found out on the site that these switches don't work with any of these hilts. How can I modify the hole for use with this switch? Also, I planned on doing a simple saber this time around. No sound for now, just the light, av switch, and a bit of DIY painting/powdercoating. Eventually I plan on upgrading to a soundcard, kill switch, etc. Anyone have any advice, tips, do's or dont's, etc? Any and all comments will be appreciated. As I said, I'm new to this, so I'm trying to keep it pretty simple this time around. Thanks.

O, yea. Here's the design I had in mind. Thoughts on that

SaberBuilder_render.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Kidloser1117 View Post
    I just recently became interested in building sabers, and have done nothing the last three days but research different builds and all that. I purchased my hilt from MHS and just had a few questions about setting up the electronics. I went with Hilt style 4 with guarded switch hole, but I want to go with the av style switch because those look really cool when they're turned on. I recently found out on the site that these switches don't work with any of these hilts. How can I modify the hole for use with this switch? Also, I planned on doing a simple saber this time around. No sound for now, just the light, av switch, and a bit of DIY painting/powdercoating. Eventually I plan on upgrading to a soundcard, kill switch, etc. Anyone have any advice, tips, do's or dont's, etc? Any and all comments will be appreciated. As I said, I'm new to this, so I'm trying to keep it pretty simple this time around. Thanks.

O, yea. Here's the design I had in mind. Thoughts on that

SaberBuilder_render.jpg
    First, Welcome to the forums. I strongly recommend you spend some time reading through the various parts of the forums. I'm sure just about all the answers you seek will be found there somewhere, since your questions have only been asked about 1138 times (give or take) before.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

The guarded hole can be enlarged to accomodate an AV switch. http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...d-measurements has measurements for most of the switches and such sold here. There are several ways to do this. You could redrill the existing hole, and use an appropriate tap to rethread the hole for the AV switch. Or you could just enlarge the hole with a Dremel or hand files, then use the retaining nut for the switch to hold it in place.

AV switches do look cool. Just remember that you have to wire up the switch, AND the switch LED separately. The light in the switch doesn't come on all by itself.

Also, looking at your saber design: The two gold colored pieces look like a Double Male with Slots, and (what I assume is) a Double Female piece. You will need to switch their positions, as the Double Male will not fit directly next to the Blade Holder.
    Last edited by Silver Serpent; 03-07-2013 at 02:30 PM.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Serpent View Post
    Also, looking at your saber design: The two gold colored pieces look like a Double Male with Slots, and (what I assume is) a Double Female piece. You will need to switch their positions, as the Double Male will not fit directly next to the Blade Holder.
    That was actually the first thing that jumped out at me... glad to know I'm starting to see some of these things caught by ever-knowledgeable SS! Although... it does look cool. Makes me wish there was a way to pull it off, short of major re-machining!

To build off SS's advice regarding the switch hole: I recently did this same thing. I just used my dremel with a grinder attachment and widened the hole to make it the same diameter all the way through, then used the AV bezel (http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Be...ches-P448.aspx). Plus, if you can swing the extra cash for two of them, putting one on the inside makes tightening the retaining nut super easy. Good luck with the build, cool starting design!

Drill/dremel/file out the hole to fit the AV switch like they said and use an AV Bezel on it. Depending on the switch, whether its a long or short switch, getting the retaining nut on tight could be tricky (not impossible by any means though). I have one saber that uses a short AV switch and an AV bezel. For that one, I cut my own makeshift flimsy type washer out of a piece of leftover sink tube by first drilling a hole in it and then cutting the rest out with a pair of tin snips. Makes for a very flexible piece and allows to tighten up the retaining nut using the same premise that a split washer would.