Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hard-wire as home theater sconces - Looking for Advice

Default Hard-wire as home theater sconces - Looking for Advice

I bought some Master Replicas Lightsabers that I would like to hard-wire as sconces in my home theater. As I assume these to be considered collectors items, I would like to leave them as un-altered as possible. If it matters, they are Darth Vader, Luke - ESB, Luke - ROTJ, and 2 Dath Maul (to make a double blade)
    BTW, did they never make an Obi-Wan from the original Star Wars? or is the closest thing an Obi-Wan from ROTS? Same hilt, just new vs. aged?

I have some questions about the batter/speaker pack and wiring. Almost all of what I am finding in searches is focused on the circuit board wiring and ignores the battery/speaker pack.
    The obvious thing to do would be to sneak a pair of wires through the sound holes and connect them to the the battery leads and connect those to a 4.5v or 9v transformer.
    Are thre things I should be aware of? or is it just that simple?

Some of my lightsabers are 4.5v (3 AA/AAA) and some are 9V (6 AA).
    Anyone know why?

The 4.5v ones have 3 connectors from the battery/speaker pack and the housing, power +/- and I assume speaker.
    The 9V ones have 5 connectors. I took the top & bottom off one (Luke - ESB) and found the following:
    Red (+)
    Orange??
    Black (-)
    2 yellows (both appear to go to the speaker)
    What is the orange? and why 2 speaker wires (yellow) does the speaker not connect to the negative internally?

I would also like to disconnect the speaker as I don't want them to hum constantly while watching a movie.
    Any issue with blocking the connection or clipping the speaker leads?

Anyway to prevent them from auto-turning off? All but Luke - ESB, turn off after after 2 minutes. Luke - ESB takes 5?

Council Member
    Sith Lord

One thing...they are all 4.5V. The ones with 6 AA batteries have battery packs that run in //. The boards are programmed to turn off automatically. No way to change that. Truthfully, the best solution for you would be to replace the boards and convert the sabers when the Nano BIscotti is in the store, then hard wire them to your transformer. The outside of the hilts would remain unchanged.
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

This would be easy to do if you ditch the sound which I would imagine you want to do anyways. Just replace the sound module with some A/C driven buckpucks.
    Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Quote Originally Posted by Strydur View Post
    This would be easy to do if you ditch the sound which I would imagine you want to do anyways. Just replace the sound module with some A/C driven buckpucks.
    Perfect.
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

Quote Originally Posted by Strydur View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Dottore Matto View Post
    Perfect.
    But that won't disable the 2 minute time-out, would it?
    Well, anyway, I have decided to go ahead and disassemble them to wire the LEDs directly. I have disassembled 4 of them. I have a variable output transformer that I can set to 4.5V (or a number of other settings) with the plan being to wire the lightsabers in parallel with the appropriate resister(s) or other current limiting things at each saber. I think I read on here somewhere that the circuit board will work from 3.8 to 5V, but what is the min/max for the LED strip itself? Max being the most important as I don't want to burn any out. BTW, anyone know if there is enough range in the voltage to make them dimmable?

Or would I be better with the Nano BIscotti thing LDM mentioned?

Thanks again!
    Last edited by RobInMN; 10-08-2012 at 01:48 PM.

Just thought I would share.

We ended up gutting them and hard-wiring the LED strips to a pair of transformers. Those are plugged into outlets that are controlled with ligting controls for the room.
    There is Luke (IV/V?), Darth Vader, Luke RoJ, Darth Maul, Obi-Wan (III - since technically it's the same one he had in IV), and Yoda.

I want that room in my house.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

Very nice!!
    Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

That is cool!
    Now I know what to do after I have a nice size saber collection.
    ~ The Yin ~

“Yeah I’m pack’n heat! It’s to prevent anyone from making me cold.”

For the saber building Younglings and Padawans: Basic Saber Building and The Saber Building Dictionary!

this almost makes me want to gunt my MRFX AOTC EL saber so i can put it above my sons bed =) almost but i guess its a good use of my MRFX Mace B)

"You are a Jedi who never knew what life was until it ran out in a big gush over your lips."

<ARKM> "May you come to the attention of those in authority"