Thread: How do people make free spin pommel inserts?

Default How do people make free spin pommel inserts?

I am looking to make a free spin pommel insert for recharge port in the pommel, and have no idea. With the c-clip pressed against the insert it wont spin, is there a secret to this? Do people just sand the insert to make it free spin?

Thanks

One way I've done this is to bore out the hole the port is supposed to thread into, so it slides freely through the insert (assumes you're using the c-clip). Then slide the lock nut over the charger plug and plug the charger into the port. Now you can hold the port steady while you thread the pommel onto the saber. Once that's locked down, thread the nut onto the recharge port and finger tighten.

I've seen LDM do another style that looks like involves a piece of rod to hold the port/insert assembly to the chassis; and the pommel can be removed completely with this little assembly hanging out into space. Do a search for his builds, or go look at his web site's photos.

Quote Originally Posted by amwolf View Post
    One way I've done this is to bore out the hole the port is supposed to thread into, so it slides freely through the insert (assumes you're using the c-clip). Then slide the lock nut over the charger plug and plug the charger into the port. Now you can hold the port steady while you thread the pommel onto the saber. Once that's locked down, thread the nut onto the recharge port and finger tighten.

I've seen LDM do another style that looks like involves a piece of rod to hold the port/insert assembly to the chassis; and the pommel can be removed completely with this little assembly hanging out into space. Do a search for his builds, or go look at his web site's photos.
    Mine spins free and I didn't do anything special to it. Makes me worry now that the C-clip isn't secure
    The lightsaber hilt is capable of producing a blade of pure energy. The lightsaber hilt has proven to be completely safe. The saber blade however has not. Do not touch the operational end of the saber blade. Do not look directly at the operational end of the saber blade. Do not immerse the saber blade into your flesh, not even partially.

@thrgk
    yes, i just sand the outer part of the insert and inside the pummel till it feels right and spins freely.
    It's really easy to do and you don't need to use a Dremel.

i mounted the pommel insert to the chassis on my last saber(opus). The back half of the hilt comes off leaving the pommel insert with the kill key exposed..i dont really have any pics of it though sorry
    ....Don't fear the Reaper....
    ....He's just a Sith Lord that has lost his lightsaber....

Quote Originally Posted by amwolf View Post
    Now why the heck didn't I think of that? If you got the spacing just right, it wouldn't look a bit different and wouldn't interfere with the wiring during (dis)assembly. I may incorporate this idea into my upcoming refit. There were a lot of good ideas (I think) in my first saber, but some of the design and execution just made it a pain. You can bet I'll be doing things differently next time.

On the subject of freely-spinning inserts: My insert does spin with the C-Clip in place, but not easily. I have to insert a pair of round-nose pliers into the holes in the insert and, while holding the insert in place, unscrew the pommel. It's absolutly not a user-friendly solution and I don't recommend it for newcomers (like myself). Failure to ensure that the insert spins while unscrewing the pommel is likely to get you damaged or broken wires if you've got a pommel-mounted recharge port (like I do).

There are many other ways to approach this problem. I like LDM's approach. Another way to solve it might be to integrate the entire chassis into the pommel insert, so that all the electronics slide out when the pommel is removed. I'm not sure how effective or "easy" this would be, but it's possible.

Another solution would be to put the blasted port somewhere else. I just had to have a pommel-mounted port...
    Last edited by Weaver; 02-17-2013 at 01:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by thrgk View Post
    I am looking to make a free spin pommel insert for recharge port in the pommel, and have no idea. With the c-clip pressed against the insert it wont spin, is there a secret to this? Do people just sand the insert to make it free spin?

Thanks
    Not a secret but a bit of 'fu' which works best if you have c-clip pliers is instead of PRESSING the c-clip against the insert before you let go of the c-clip instead try to PULL the c-clip against the edge of the c-clip groove in the pommel on the side AWAY from the insert before releasing it - sometimes that leaves just enough 'slack' to allow the insert to spin freely depending on the individual tolerances of the parts...though it can take a few tries to get it right sometimes.

That doesn't always work if you got a bad combination of a tight groove, thick insert and thick clip so its more likely to work if you have several c-clips to try for a 'loose fit' in the groove not just one cuz tolerances on those c-clips can slightly vary...but its worth trying [yes there IS try lol] before sanding on the insert.