Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How to wire a Nano Biscotte

Default How to wire a Nano Biscotte

Nano biscotte.jpg

the speaker and switch don't have a polarity.
    With us, you are ruler of all the Sith, answerable only to the Emperor himself
    ―Darth Marr to Darth Nox

Yep..doesn't matter for mom switches or speakers. I believe all you need is a resistor on the LED.

Oops. I forgot to put that in. But resistors are not always needed.
    With us, you are ruler of all the Sith, answerable only to the Emperor himself
    ―Darth Marr to Darth Nox

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Vane View Post
    i thought you needed a resistor for the led? so the board will run fine running a Luxeon Rebel with out there being a Resistor? or do i HAVE to have one?
    You SHOULD have a resistor for the main LED. Even for the higher Vf LED's, you should have something on them.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Vane View Post
    i thought you needed a resistor for the led? so the board will run fine running a Luxeon Rebel with out there being a Resistor? or do i HAVE to have one?
    yes you will need a resistor for the main led

The NB has the capability to run the main LED without a resistor but only depending on what color you're using. Red and yellow have low forward voltages and would need the appropriate resistor to make them work. Green, white, and blue have high forward voltages typically close to that of your source voltage. This means they would need a very small resistor which may be difficult to locate.

On page 17 of the manual, the Drive Adjustments section discusses this. The drive parameter defines the maximum drive applied to the main LED. This configurable parameter is designed to allow you to power your main LED without the need of a resistor so long as your LED's forward voltage and your source voltage are relatively close. Which would be for your greens, blues and whites. The idea behind this parameter is if you're using a 3.7v li-ion battery and running green for you main LED the resistor value needed for this is so low that you probably won't be able to find one. The board allows you to "drive" the LED in a manner similar to what the PC and CF have standard.

Basically you need to know what LED you want to use, what its forward voltage is, and what battery you'll use to determine if a resistor is needed or not.
    Last edited by Arryck Corso; 03-11-2013 at 09:45 PM.
    There's a difference between knowing the path.....and walking the path.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthMarr View Post
    Oops. I forgot to put that in. But resistors are not always needed.
    ABANDON ALL HOPE, YE WHO ENTER HERE!
    Canto III of Dante's Inferno

Beware the Power of The Pope!

how would you apply this formula to tri-rebels?

Quote Originally Posted by KingOfDathomir View Post
    how would you apply this formula to tri-rebels?
    I used a BBW TriR to make a silver blade on a NB saber, but only using the B and W, leaving the second B unused. In that case, simply wire the two dies in parallel and calculate the drive parameter using the Vf of a single die.

So in this instance, I used 3.4v@1000mA for both dies (maybe overdriving the white a little, but it works and I'm okay with that).

R = (3.7 - 3.4) / 2 = 0.15 ohm

Yeah, not gonna find that resistor... so, using Erv's formula in the NB manual:

drive = 1023 * (3.4 / 3.7) = 940

Just remember the caveat from the manual: "Never set the drive under 80% of the maximum value." So never set the drive value below 818.

Okay, I'm still drinking my coffee today but I'm pretty sure my math is good. Someone please correct me if not!

I've been thinking about ordering a NB for my saber build, my main LED is 3.4v and I have the lithium ion battery pack that's 3.7v 2600mAh. Do I need a resistor? Or is the difference close enough that it won't fry it?

Also, My momentary switch has one of the accent ring LED's in it, if I want it on constantly, I would run it straight to the battery (with a resistor of course), and then also run my recharge port directly to (and from) the battery?

Thanks for the initial diagram, it has helped me quite a bit.