Thread: Wiring&Reistors

Default Wiring&Reistors

Ok I have done quite a bit of forum searching reading ETC. and have yet to find any real advice or answers. Now my problem is this. I know next to nothing of resistors, and the like. I know the one you choose is based on your power supply. Is there a simple easy way to determine what you need. I looked at the calculater that is on line and as I said I know nothing of this type of wiring so the calculator did me no good.
    Thanx

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I moved it here since it definatly applies more here.

For the resistor you need to know a few things first: 1) Your batteries voltage 2) The forward voltage of the LED 3) what amperage you want to run your LED at

2 and 3 you'd get by looking up the specs of the LED. For a Luxeon there is a topic on that here. If it's not stickied I'll do it right after I post this (EDIT: it's in the LED Q&A forum). If it's for a decrative LED you'll have to look at the package.

The generic formula for the resistor is:

(battery voltage - forward voltage)/amperage = resistor value

That formula will give you the exact value to get that amperage. Sometimes it an odd number and you'll have to "over-resistor" it. Using an online calculator will do this automatically for you and round it to the closest standard resistor made.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

dangit.... i had a website but i forgot it, it tells you exactly which resistor your should get depending on your voltage/amperage.
    Darth Sequentius...Sith Lord

Bringing light to darkness.

Dang we have gone over this snitz a million times

OK here is a nice and easy way to do it since that seems to be what everyone wants.

Get a 2.2ohm 5w resistor and the 4aaa or aa batt pack. use that with a 3w LED and you will be good to go.
    Red 5 "Move Dangit! I gots Snitz to blow up!"

James at least 100 times
    ;

Do-Clo Custom Sabers
    http://doclocustomsabers.com/
    Replica Prop Artist