Thread: Sinktubes, shrouds, etc

Force Aware
    Force Aware

Default Sinktubes, shrouds, etc

hey guys, i see a lot of stuff about sinktubes...are you literally talking about a pipe for a sink? and how would you go about cutting a shroud for a hilt using one? i mean, i know how to cut metal with my dremel and such, but exactly which size would you use over a standard hilt?
    "See first with your mind, then with your eyes, and finally with your body."

Yep. Standard plumbing supply but order it from the shop and and you can be sure for a tight fit. 1.5" OD fits outside most MHS and 1.25" fits inside. The TCSS tubes are the best fit and a great deal. Other sources can vary in size. You may want to consider MHS sleeve since it's thicker, more difficult to cut, but will make the lines of your cut stand out more. If you like that. I use both myself depending on what for but prefer MHS sleeve most times.
    Last edited by Crystal Chambers; 02-08-2013 at 02:27 AM.

I have found a couple different thicknesses at the local hardware store. I believe the correct size to fit over MHS is 22 gauge.

I usually bring my calipers or a piece of MHS into the store anyhow, just to be sure I grab the right one.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Sink tube is what my first few sabers were made from. Just used MHS parts for the blade holder and pommel.
    I dont know if you've found this yet but: The Basics of Dremeling Sinktubes. It is a good read if you're just getting started. Once you work with it though, you'll find (a least in my case) most of your time will be spent designing what you want.

What I like to do is make the design on a computer, print it, cut it, and lay that over the saber to get a better idea of how it looks.
    I use Microsoft Visio for making the design, that way things a sized right. If you don't have a program that you can use for making to scale designs, than graphing paper is good to use.
    ~ The Yin ~

“Yeah I’m pack’n heat! It’s to prevent anyone from making me cold.”

For the saber building Younglings and Padawans: Basic Saber Building and The Saber Building Dictionary!

Force Aware
    Force Aware

so thats basically what i thought. i'm sure i know the answer to this question, but i'm going to ask anyway, cuz i'm typing and that 's just what i do! do you just slide the hilt into the shroud then? and then what, hold it in place with screws?
    "See first with your mind, then with your eyes, and finally with your body."

Yep, that's the basics.
    But, you may also have the Activation box and/or a Covertec Button that will help hold it down. You can add screws for detail purposes in some cases as well.
    ~ The Yin ~

“Yeah I’m pack’n heat! It’s to prevent anyone from making me cold.”

For the saber building Younglings and Padawans: Basic Saber Building and The Saber Building Dictionary!