Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Wood lightsaber ideas

If youre going to go the sleeve route you may want to look into "stabilized" woods. They are (basically) infused with plastic. Very tough, easy to shape and moisture proof.

I have a drill bit and a wood lathe and would do it for you, but I'd have to have the wood in pieces of about 4" or less... Problem with any longer than that is it's a pain in the rear to drill through. The lathe turning would be a piece of cake... I can't see charging $100 for just the labor. I'd consider it a privilege to turn for you, as long as I didn't get blamed for wood splitting and have to pay for the replacements... lol.

They sell pieces of 2" exotic and domestic at woodcraft.com (assuming it's ok to post since it's not something Tim sells here?) that are great to work with. Not sure what OD you have for your saber parts (1.5" I'd assume), and the cost of investing in a proper bit would be one thing to think about.

Keep me in mind for the woodturning!
    Last edited by captain_mills; 02-06-2013 at 09:56 PM.

Remember, your LED will ALWAYS look brighter in pics and vids... If you're not playing with it at night, it's not gonna impress you...