Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wood lightsaber ideas

Question Wood lightsaber ideas

Hey everyone! So my wife and I are thinking about building her a saber. Nothing super fancy, but a nice saber nonetheless. The one big catch is that she would like it to be made out of wood or to have an elvish air to it. Does anyone have experience with anything like this? What makes for a good hilt base?
    "We don't have to win. We only have to fight." - Mace Windu (Shatterpoint)

Force Aware
    Force Aware

Now youre talking my language! Use a stronger wood - I would recommend something along the lines of biltmore ash or hickory. Those tend to be used for baseball bats. You can always use hard maple...not the stuff you get at Home Depot but order it online...hard maple is used for guitar necks. These also tend to have nicer grains as well, so it could be stained well and look good.
    "See first with your mind, then with your eyes, and finally with your body."

How do you usually shape the saber and then hollow out the center?

Pictures would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Force Aware
    Force Aware

i've never done one before out of wood, but i imagine best way would be using a drill press or a lathe. you could always take two piece and chew out the middle area, then join the two pieces together...split a piece of thicker wood, then chew out the middle with a router table and rejoin the two halves...
    "See first with your mind, then with your eyes, and finally with your body."

The easiest method I've seen is to make the saber out of metal and/or pvc, and then paint it to look like wood.

I'm sure you could make one out of real wood, but I'd be concerned about it breaking if you intend to duel with it. It would make a nice display piece though.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Go to FX-Sabers without telling you who to buy from there are some people on their with awsome looking wood sleeves
    Olc-Pa Mabec

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...light=Kashyyyk

Here you go, this is my favorite wood looking saber, made out of PVC

Sweet! Thanks for the replies. All of them have a lot of potential!

I also thought of making a saber with a wooden sleeve, the problem here was I wanted to make the saber durable (maintain the inner aluminum tube) and it shouldnt get to thick.
    After some research I found a guy that could make me that sleeve, but the costs for one piece with about 1.6" inner diameter, 1.8" outer diameter and a length of 8" were 100$ (just the work, no material)
    So I changed the concept for my new saber

Another idea, depending on the look you're going for, is to make a PVC or MHS saber, and add wooden parts to it. I'm just thinking as I type , but what about something like wood veneer?

This might help if you want to make a section or two look like they are made of wood, but not the whole hilt.
    ~ The Yin ~

“Yeah I’m pack’n heat! It’s to prevent anyone from making me cold.”

For the saber building Younglings and Padawans: Basic Saber Building and The Saber Building Dictionary!