Thread: 1st Build Noob! Checklist

Default 1st Build Noob! Checklist

Hey everyone,

My first build, after reading for 2 months. Following the Noob! So You Wanna Build A MHS Saber Huh? tutorial, I want to order the following, but have some questions...

Blade Holder #22
    Retention Screw
    7" Fluted with Guarded Style Switch Hole
    Pommel Style 3, v1
    MPS clip
    MPS insert 13
    Seoul P4 LED & MHS heatsink Module (Green)
    Corbin Style Blade, 36"
    Momentary Guarded switch
    MHS choke style 3

I have a tap and die set, wiring, tubing, solder, eye protection and 3rd hand soldering station from my other hobby.

My main concern with with powering the saber. I have two 3.7v 2600mAH rechargable lithium cells (18650). I can pick up a wired holder at my local shop. Using the LED wizard, I found that if I used one cell with this setup, I would need a 1 ohm resistor. (brown black gold)

The P4 says 1000mAH max. I really dont want to pop anyting, but I would think that the resistor would prevent this. Anyone concur?

I use LEDs all the time in my HO scale train hobby, but I don't use batteries. I usually use track power.

Thanks for looking and any helpful hints.

DeckRoid

Quote Originally Posted by deckroid View Post
    Hey everyone,

My first build, after reading for 2 months. Following the Noob! So You Wanna Build A MHS Saber Huh? tutorial, I want to order the following, but have some questions...

Blade Holder #22
    Retention Screw
    7" Fluted with Guarded Style Switch Hole
    Pommel Style 3, v1
    MPS clip
    MPS insert 13
    Seoul P4 LED & MHS heatsink Module (Green)
    Corbin Style Blade, 36"
    Momentary Guarded switch
    MHS choke style 3

I have a tap and die set, wiring, tubing, solder, eye protection and 3rd hand soldering station from my other hobby.

My main concern with with powering the saber. I have two 3.7v 2600mAH rechargable lithium cells (18650). I can pick up a wired holder at my local shop. Using the LED wizard, I found that if I used one cell with this setup, I would need a 1 ohm resistor. (brown black gold)

The P4 says 1000mAH max. I really dont want to pop anyting, but I would think that the resistor would prevent this. Anyone concur?

I use LEDs all the time in my HO scale train hobby, but I don't use batteries. I usually use track power.

Thanks for looking and any helpful hints.

DeckRoid
    First off, Welcome to the Forums.

If you are not using a soundcard, you'll be able to get by with just one 18650 battery. It's the voltage, not the current that tends to pop a LED. The voltage of a 18650 Li-ion is 3.7 and the forward voltage of a green is around (plus/minus) 3.7V as well. a 1ohm, 1W resistor would be fine for you.

Good Luck!
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Thanks!
    I might add sound later. I want to build this one first though. Foot in the door kinda thing.

Your parts list shows a momentary switch. For a straightforward stunt saber like this you actually need a latching switch, otherwise you will need to hold the button down the whole time.

D'OH!

Well, that's just a bit of a bummer. Already ordered my parts. Oh, well. The first of many mistakes, I am sure! I will order one.

Don't feel bad... I think I have yet to place an order where I didn't forget something or got the wrong thing.

The way I see it, you will now have the needed momentary switch for when you add sound, so you are actually ahead of the game!

Thanks, TrypWyr.

Actually, now that I look at LED supply houses and sound, I am already planning on a second saber before the parts of my 1st even arrives! :LOL:

I am looking at an LED that has 3000 lumens!!! holy cow, that'd brighten a blade. Of course with sound and what not, I will have to have a 10 volt battery pack, which would pretty much mean wiring in a recharge port... aahhh....

Hello. My name is DeckRoid. I am a saber addict.

Quote Originally Posted by deckroid View Post
    Hello. My name is DeckRoid. I am a saber addict.
    Forum Crowd: Hi DeckRoid

Lol, it happens fast doesn't it. I'm just almost done with my first PC saber, and I'm already planing my next.
    ~ The Yin ~

“Yeah I’m pack’n heat! It’s to prevent anyone from making me cold.”

For the saber building Younglings and Padawans: Basic Saber Building and The Saber Building Dictionary!