Thread: 1st Build Advice

Force Aware
    Force Aware

Default 1st Build Advice

Hey guys, I'm attempting my first build and following the list of stuff that is on one of the form topics, saying what you need...here's my shopping cart SO FAR - can anyone else advise me what else I'd need?

Hilt style 4 with guarded switch
    Screw on LED Blade Holder 18
    MHS "new style" Heat Sink V2
    MHS Pommel 8
    .75" Male/female extension
    MWS Pre-Wired Nano Biscotte Sound Module
    Build Your Own Seoul P4 Electronics Kit
    "Corbin Style" Battle Blade

I know I still need to get a speaker, but beyond that, am I set to go for a basic LED saber w/sound? And also, rather than powder coating I was thinking of doing finishing here at home using Automotive Spray Enamel; would that work well on the hilt and such?

I don't see a battery solution, how are you powering it? Also, a lens and holder. Though one of the kits might come with it, I haven't used one yet.

Spray enamel works great, just treat it like painting any other metal. There's a few tutorials on here about baking spray paint, look around a bit.

Force Aware
    Force Aware

The battery comes with the Seoul kit. However, since this is my first build I'm considering going a bit cheaper and using the soundboard from a MR saber...found it on eBay for $35. The only thing I'm unclear on is where exactly I wire in my sound. Based on what I see from the prewired NB, it looks as though my battery connects to the soundboard, then everything splits from the board to the led, switch etc? If I posted a picture or a link to what I'm looking at, would you be able to confirm that?

Depending on the model of your MR saber, you might find a wiring diagram for it here: http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...iring-Diagrams

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

You might want to double check the switches... I'm not sure if they are the right ones for the hole in the main body.
    "I sense great fear in you Skywalker! You have hate, you have anger; but you don't use them."

Force Aware
    Force Aware

i'm using the MR board with the seoul p4 kit, so i'll be using that switch...de-solder the one attached to the soundboard and wiring the seoul one in...i was talking with my brother in law, who does a lot of electronics wiring for his job, and he was looking at everything and saying that he'd be able to get it done pretty easily so i think i'm in good shape! thanks for your input guys...i'll kick out a picture in a couple weeks when we do this!

Make sure it's a latching switch. MR boards only use latching unless you use the lighthound PCB trick.

Force Aware
    Force Aware

would you by chance know if the switch that comes on the Seoul kit, the push on/push off switch, will work? i dont know if that's considered latching or momentary or what... also, this might sound like a stupid question but, i'm using an ultrasabers dark initiate body for my build...its got the blade retention screw but i'm not 100% sure i understand how exactly the LED stays in place or how far down to set it/the blade, because the emitter/blade holder is built on to the body, not screw on...i've attached two picture so you can see what i'm talking about...up near the top of the hilt, where the blade inserts, i've got 1 1/16", while at the bottom (its MHS pommel compatible) its 1 5/16"... and the hole for the switch is 11/16" (outer portion)/7/16" (inner portion). probably this coming week i'll be ordering a speaker to glue to my battery pack for the seoul kit, but will that switch work, or should i get a different one, and how exactly do i mount the led?

photo 1.jpgphoto 2.jpg