Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Purple!

If you put the resistor before the splice, then it will be applying the resistance to both your red and blue leds. You only want to reduce the power to your red led.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Serpent View Post
    If you put the resistor before the splice, then it will be applying the resistance to both your red and blue leds. You only want to reduce the power to your red led.
    Ahh, makes sense. Thanks!

Considering I have no idea how to use a potentiometer -- or where to acquire the right kind, if there's more than one -- I think I'm just going to grab a handful of resistors as suggested in this thread and just play around until I get my ideal mix. That being said, what range would be recommended? Is there anything that would be either too weak or too strong?

Quote Originally Posted by Maleficia View Post
    Considering I have no idea how to use a potentiometer -- or where to acquire the right kind, if there's more than one -- I think I'm just going to grab a handful of resistors as suggested in this thread and just play around until I get my ideal mix. That being said, what range would be recommended? Is there anything that would be either too weak or too strong?
    Something like a 10 Ohm, 1W should get you in the neighborhood. Get the next size up and down and you should be in good shape.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Potentiometer is just a fancy word for a variable resistor. You've seen them before, but you may not have realized it.

Volume control knobs? Yep, they're potentiometers. They usually have a dial or a screw on them that you turn to adjust the resistance.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Well, if you wanted to use a POT to play around with color mixing, I'd go for one of these, a 10ohm wirewound POT. Just use the center terminal and one of the side ones. But realistically, you're likely to find what you're looking for with 0.5 to 3 ohm range, 2Watt resistors (just to be safe). Best fit for nominal operation of that red LED is going to be 1.8ohm, 2Watt. If I were going to be doing the color mixing (and I will probably make a purple one later this year), I'd leave the blue at nominal voltage with the "drive" setting, and then play around with the red LED resistor -- since I like 'em a little more on the blue side, I might bump it up to 2.2 or 2.7ohms and see how it looks. (and if you want more red, just reduce the red LED resistance and reduce the "drive" setting).
    Last edited by Xevious; 01-30-2013 at 09:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Serpent View Post
    Potentiometer is just a fancy word for a variable resistor. You've seen them before, but you may not have realized it.

Volume control knobs? Yep, they're potentiometers. They usually have a dial or a screw on them that you turn to adjust the resistance.
    Huh... I was not aware of that. Ya learn something new every day!

Quote Originally Posted by Xevious View Post
    Well, if you wanted to use a POT to play around with color mixing, I'd go for one of these, a 10ohm wirewound POT. Just use the center terminal and one of the side ones. But realistically, you're likely to find what you're looking for with 0.5 to 3 ohm range, 2Watt resistors (just to be safe). Best fit for nominal operation of that red LED is going to be 1.8ohm, 2Watt. If I were going to be doing the color mixing (and I will probably make a purple one later this year), I'd leave the blue at nominal voltage with the "drive" setting, and then play around with the red LED resistor -- since I like 'em a little more on the blue side, I might bump it up to 2.2 or 2.7ohms and see how it looks. (and if you want more red, just reduce the red LED resistance and reduce the "drive" setting).
    Excellent. Thanks for the tip! I'll grab a few of those resistors and swap 'em out until I get the color I want.

Excellent. Thanks for the tip! I'll grab a few of those resistors and swap 'em out until I get the color I want.
    Sure. As long as you can fit two resistors in the hilt OK, then it might be easiest to just leave the drive setting to max and just swap-out various resistors on your benchtop 'till you get what you want, knowing it'll look exactly the same when you assemble it. Just don't let the red LED get too much current or it will fry.

Quote Originally Posted by Xevious View Post
    Sure. As long as you can fit two resistors in the hilt OK, then it might be easiest to just leave the drive setting to max and just swap-out various resistors on your benchtop 'till you get what you want, knowing it'll look exactly the same when you assemble it. Just don't let the red LED get too much current or it will fry.
    Does anyone know what the amp output of the Mace Windu Master Replica card is? I measured the voltage and its around the 3.6v range with a fresh set of batteries, but amperage would vary depending on what the draw is correct? I just don't know what the max draw is that we have to work with. Any info would be appreciated.