Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: First Build

Quote Originally Posted by JediEngineer View Post
    Also with the same concept i ended up drilling and tapping a new hole for the newly added recharge port (right in the covertech knob!) :

Attachment 8697Attachment 8696
    Okay, that's cool! I'm assuming after drilling the hole, you tap the hole and use the recharge port as, basically, a screw to hold the wheel in place?

That's right Yoshi-taka, but i didnt tap the hole, i tapped the covertech knob. And for all you guys asking about the led blowout... It was my fault entirely, the resistor was correct but when i checked it i didnt realize a small solder bridge between the leads

"You must trust that the components that form your lightsaber are meant to be together. There is no other way. It is the Force that binds them." = Professor Huyang

Also with the same concept i ended up drilling and tapping a new hole for the newly added recharge port (right in the covertech knob!) :
    Attachment 8697Attachment 8696
    Ok. I second Yoshi-Taka, that is a really cool idea. How does it look stability/durability wise?
    "We don't have to win. We only have to fight." - Mace Windu (Shatterpoint)

That's right Yoshi-taka, but i didnt tap the hole, i tapped the covertech knob. And for all you guys asking about the led blowout... It was my fault entirely, the resistor was correct but when i checked it i didnt realize a small solder bridge between the leads
    Right, that's what I meant. Will the covertec wheel still function well without damaging the recharge port (or at least, do you think so)? I definitely wanna do that in a future saber.

It *can* be done, but there will be extra stress on the recharge port. The recharge ports are one of the more easily damaged components on a saber, so be aware that it may need replacing in the future. Also consider using something to help attach the covertec knob in addition to the recharge port. Glue, epoxy, JB-Weld. It'll be a permanent attachment, but you'll keep some of the stress off the recharge port.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Kinda like the kill key that looks like a covertec wheel: not the safest idea but looks cool. Duly noted.
    I suppose that gives me an excuse to use two covertec wheels on a saber, which something I've been wanting to do anyway.

Silver Serpent is right about the stress of the recharge port, but I did use a bit of epoxy just in case. And as a "durability test" I walked around with it attached to the belt clip for like two days (including a game of manhunt of running and jumping around) and it holds pretty well.

"You must trust that the components that form your lightsaber are meant to be together. There is no other way. It is the Force that binds them." = Professor Huyang

Spiffy Idea, good call on the Epoxy for stress relief!