Thread: accent led on nano biscotte

Default accent led on nano biscotte

I'm looking to to use the 3.3 accent pad on the nano biscotte, and frankly I have no idea to begin. What sort of LED can I easily mount on there since this is the first time i'm playing with this? I'd like to use it to try to make a crystal chamber. Any help or advise is welcomed.

Quote Originally Posted by whitmers View Post
    I'm looking to to use the 3.3 accent pad on the nano biscotte, and frankly I have no idea to begin. What sort of LED can I easily mount on there since this is the first time i'm playing with this? I'd like to use it to try to make a crystal chamber. Any help or advise is welcomed.
    You can attach a 3mm or 5mm LED to it (via wires), you would have to run the negative back to the battery(-). You might need a resistor depending on which color you decide to use.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

is there a list somewhere for accent led resistances? ideally I want to do one without a resistor, something less for me to screw up.

Quote Originally Posted by whitmers View Post
    is there a list somewhere for accent led resistances? ideally I want to do one without a resistor, something less for me to screw up.
    Look up Ohm's law. It's how resistance values are calculated. The formulas are in the NB manual as well. It's been covered several times on the forums. I know I've demonstrated it several times here. *Waves hand* Use the search button, it is your friend.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Accent LEDs are pretty much gonna need a resistor. It's exceedingly hard to build around that requirement. Wiring in a resistor isn't hard. You just add it to either the positive OR the negative wire for the accent LED.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz is what I use to figure out resistor values. You can also choose to do the math as well. Both are valid options.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Keep in mind that if you run an accent LED on the 3.3v pad that you will need a recharge port. Even in deep sleep mode, the accent LED would remain on and drain your battery, I have just wired it in parallel with the main LED, like you would do on a stunt saber, and it won't come on until you power on the saber.

LED Saber Combat Master Instructor
    Co-Founder of Caine and Novastar's Saber Combat System (NCSCS)
    Life's short...saberplay HARD!

Wiring in parallel of main LED was also what i thought to do if I eventually get to use a NB.
    Yet I was wondering, could you wire up to 3 accents (2v 3mm) in parallel of the main led die? or would it be better to wire these accents in series (and then in parallel of main led)?
    Still a bit noob in understanding that part sorry!
    Clicky Sig =>

If you have a power source of at least 6v, then you can wire the three accents in series, and then parallel to the main LED. Add the Vf of the 3 accent LEDs together, and then calculate your resistor as if they were a single LED with the combined Vf.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

I see, thanks SS!
    However the power source would be only 3.7v. It will be 1 18650 or 2 14500 in parallel as NB can accept only 3.7v from what I understood.
    Every led would be in parallel then but I have to check what the NB can handle in that configuration
    Clicky Sig =>

If you have a switch like this one you can wire the LEDs to the switch so they are on when the switch is pushed in, or when the switch is up.
    I wired the LED in the switch to my Power indicator light that way on my PC. Thus it's on only when the saber is on.

Also, I was looking around for a Super-bright LED to use for my accent LED (for a crystal chamber as well), and found one that said . . . nvm, I checked the webpage again and it says 3.3v (not sure why I got a resistor for it, I may have got mixed up with a different LED). Any way, the specs for the LEd say 3.3v-3.6v (it's green).

So, depending on the color and the brightness, you may be able to find an LED that is rated for 3.3v, and then you wont need a resistor.
    ~ The Yin ~

“Yeah I’m pack’n heat! It’s to prevent anyone from making me cold.”

For the saber building Younglings and Padawans: Basic Saber Building and The Saber Building Dictionary!