Thread: Yoshi-Taka's "Rainbow Dash"

Default Yoshi-Taka's "Rainbow Dash"

I haven't built a stunt saber in a very long time..

This saber was built on a whim, with a very basic premise: a very fast, sleek stunt lightsaber, mainly for practice and sparring. This, of course, is another addition to the Bronysaber series. It's named after the pony of the same name and one of the main cast of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. In the show, Rainbow Dash is described and seen as one of (if not, the) faster fliers in the show. This saber, without a doubt, reflects the character very well: lightweight, sleek, extremely fast.

But there's a bonus piece here. You see, a little over 7 months ago, I received a ribbon from a [now] ex-girlfriend as a gift. Long distance relationship, tl;dr for TCSS. In the single greatest irony I've ever experienced in my saber building career, the ribbon she gave me is rainbow. So I decided to incorporate part of the ribbon (I had to trim it because way too long) in the saber, to represent Rainbow Dash's tail (since it's near the tail-end of the saber). So this is much more than just a theme saber and a stunt saber; it's as full a representation a stunt can get (with just MHS parts..).

This saber has been custom-formed for my grip. The d-ring is positioned so it will never impede my off-hand. The retention screw is designed for a thumbscrew. The point of a thumbscrew is for a higher grip. Gripping near the emitter increases the swing speeds, and the hand can slip easily. A thumbscrew lays atop the fold in the hand and prevents the hand from touching the blade. Realism.

One of my favourite parts about the recharge is that on the large extension, on the bottom-side, is one of the screw-in chassis disks. This seals the battery out, preventing it from damaging it. The battery has enough room in the extension and adapter that it doesn't interfere with the switch. I love it.

That's a lotta babbling for a stunt, yeah? Let's move on to the specs and pics.

SPECS
    -MHS parts (a few I had as just extras. That's how this build happened in the first place)
    -Luxeon Rebel Star (cyan, to match Rainbow Dash's coat)
    -Latching anti-vandal switch
    -2.1mm recharge port (in-pommel)
    -7.4v 800mAh 14500 li-ion battery pack
    -1000mA 6-wire buckpuck

PICS

And, of course, the inspiration:

Fun fact: Rainbow Dash is by far my least favourite pony. And yet this saber is probably the most detail oriented saber I've made (in terms of personality and funtionality).

No words....I'm speechless.......

Okay, now that we're done with that, I'll be less verbose. I find that whenever you post a new saber, I refrain from scrolling down to the pictures before I've read all the text first. I love the fact that you tell us how your sabers came to be. The whys of the saber, and how it's personal to you. That's possibly my favorite part of your sabers, honestly.

Beyond loving the fact that you let me into your brain, I love this saber. It's perfect. As an expression of Brony-ness....Brony-ism? Brony-hood? Whatever. As an expression of the fact that you're a Brony, I instantly get this saber. It makes all kinds of sense in my head. The ribbon is a perfect accent for this. It sets off the hard lines and orderly form that a Saber by it's nature has. It's soft, it curves. It's just...right.

So, as usual, after all my gushing, I'll just say "Stay gold, Ponyboy." and leave it at that.
    "Bacon and cheese>squeezed lemon." - FenderBender
    "But, ya know...rules are made to be broken." - Yoshi-Taka
    LDM's Recipe For Noobs. Totally Worth The Read.

And with every saber I post, I blush like a fiend when I see those posts.

Part of the explanation is me loving to talk. The other part... well, I mean, why do we build sabers? Why do we choose the designs we choose? Why build our particular lightsabers? If we can't answer these questions, we shouldn't bother building them.

I love the ribbon. The only thing that ex was good for.. that ribbon was what inspired the saber. I lucked out by having access to cyan leds. It flows very well with the saber. I might have to repeat the ribbon piece in future sabers

I appreciate your admiration. I think my status as a brony is expressed as such, without a suffix. I'm not sure myself

Very sleek saber, perfect stunt saber! As for the My Little Pony theme....hmm, whatever floats your boat. Side note- What in the world is a Brony?
    "A foolish man fights a fight he'll lose, and lose foolishly".

A Brony is an adult male who is a fan of the My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic television show.

...There are more of us than you'd think.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Ahh another Bronysaber from Yoshi! Gotta agree with MandoJoe - half the fun of your sabers is hearing the story and inspiration behind them!

I'm really liking the practicability and efficiency of this design, and especially the media-blasted extension holding the switch in the middle that sets it off. And the rainbow ribbon works perfectly.

I only wish i could find a similar use for some mementos from my last long-distance relationship...
    --------------------------Cadence--------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Serpent View Post
    A Brony is an adult male who is a fan of the My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic television show.

...There are more of us than you'd think.
    Actually, any adult fan of any generation of My Little Pony can be called a brony.

Wait, are you a brony too?! Why have I not seen you on my threads!?

Quote Originally Posted by Starwinder View Post
    Ahh another Bronysaber from Yoshi! Gotta agree with MandoJoe - half the fun of your sabers is hearing the story and inspiration behind them!

I'm really liking the practicability and efficiency of this design, and especially the media-blasted extension holding the switch in the middle that sets it off. And the rainbow ribbon works perfectly.

I only wish i could find a similar use for some mementos from my last long-distance relationship...
    The media blasted extension was a piece from a previous saber and was only temporary. It was just sitting in my leftover parts bin until now. I love the ribbon; did I mention that yet?

Truth be told, I completely lucked out with having the ribbon. I needed a new idea for a saber and remembered I had it. "Oh. Well. Rainbow Dash it is. To the MHS Builder!"

While I do think it's a nice saber with a subtle unique touch, I think it would be even cooler with paint to match the pony body colour and a colour changing blade. Like a slow colour cycling.

I thought about a rainbow paint scheme but that became too much work. I've never done a colour changing blade before but I love that idea as well.