Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Corbin's new saber (Picture intensive)

Default Corbin's new saber (Picture intensive)

As expected, that is an awesome design Corbin.

Are the metals going to be copper and brass or bronze?

I am curious about the multiple 3 watters. Could you maybe give a bit more info on that? Are you going to have the optics avaliable?

I can't wait to see that hilt completed.
    Red 5 "Move Dangit! I gots Snitz to blow up!"

Default Killer Penny

Hi James
    For those that haven't seen the saber He's refering to, here it is:

It's made out of brass and copper. It uses an old fluted section of tubing similar to another brass saber I own, the Malius. From what I've been able to gather, it's from an old brass fire extinguisher from New Zealand I believe. The types with the long hose where you had to turn the extinguisher upside down to disperse the water.

As for the multi LED thing, all I can say is stay tuned. This particular saber may or may not utilize that type of setup. I may just go with a 5 watter instead. We'll see.

Corbin

Default Configuration

OK,
    This saber has been in the worksfor longer than I want to think about, but here's what we decided:

• We're going with a single 5 watt green.

There's going to be a PLI on the activator box.

The on/off will be a recessed pushbutton INSIDE THE COVERTECH KNOB.

If we can swing it, the smaller box up front behind the blade retention screw will act as a momentary switch for the C&L effect.

Recharge port in pommel

10.8V Li-Ion battery pack with my driver

Corbin

Saweeeeet Saber!
    All things a beginning have.
    As all things do an ending.
    Be not too hasty from one to the other to move, or much will you miss, along the way.

thats a crazy design man! i love it, but with all the doohikies its gonna be really uncomfortable to wield...

Default Update

Hi again
    Well, the saber is underway again after about a year of being on the back burner. AceRocket and I have been planning this darn thing for a long time now.
    About a a year or so back, the original copper section got damaged when a tool holder on the lathe broke a screw or something. In the mean time, we
    used the excuse that it was being remade to design a better part. That's what this one is.

OK, let's start out with the copper neck section:

You can see the two holes where the wires will run down. I'm having brass tubing added in there for looks. Here's the brass ring on the neck too:

Here's an earlier piece that goes on the back of the neck and gets wrapped with a brass sleeve before plugging into the fluted grip section.
    The piece was eventually replaced with a newer version:

Check out this machining job to lighten up this part:

How cool is that?!

Here's the brass sleeve slid over the part:

And here's the grip section added:

Here's a better shot showing the PLI box on the grip.

This shows the PLI and the box along with a tiny DPDT switch used in the box:

Finally, here's the brass shroud that will be put on the saber:

As for the specs... The saber will use 3 Li-Ion batteries to power a green 5 watt Luxeon. The on/off switch will be recessed (or flush) in the center of the
    copper covertech knob. There will be a machined copper button to replace the temporary brass one on the box where the PLI is. Pressing it activates the
    PLI. There will also be a momentary switch integrated into the small box on the front of the saber (just behind the blade retention screw). This momentary
    switch will activate the C&L fuction of the driver.

I'm sure people will ask how much this thing costs. Ace has said that an all aluminum one like this would probably cost about $500.00 because of the 21
    pieces that need to be machined. A copper and brass version like this one would likely add another couple hundred bucks. I don't know if you've ever
    priced machinable copper or not, but it's expensive stuff. I'm not sure how well it machines either.

Now before you all faint, understand that I'm getting a bit of a deal from Ace. Even so, this will likely remain the most expensive saber I have.

Corbin

Phew - after all this time being teased with 3d renders......

That thing is lookin' awesome Corbin!

Are you going to polish it or leave it looking tarnished and old?
    This Jedi Ranger has a name....Terek Kelrune. Don't forget it.

THE PENNY KILLER IS ALIVE!!!!!!!!!

Way cool awesome dude! WOO HOO!!!
    Red 5 "Move Dangit! I gots Snitz to blow up!"

Ryma Mara

I would polish it but only a small bit so it can still wear at a decent rate. then when you like the way it looks put a protective coating on it.

Looken sweet.