Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Powdercoating Durability?

Default Powdercoating Durability?

Hey folks!

How durable is the powdercoating? I don't mean "can it take repeated strikes while dueling?" I mean just for general use and wear and tear. I'm thinking I want to powdercoat my saber, but I'm wodering if heavy use, even just gripping and running lightsaber drills and katas, will cause the powdercoating to eventually wear down along the edges. I like the look of a main body section (style 4) in Ivy Green, but if it's going to wear down after a short while I might want to get a different Main body section (style 2) and get the PC in the grooves.

Opinions?
    Phil Maiewski, Alderaan Base Executive Officer
    Maynard, MA
    Costumes:Clone Commander Fil in the Rebel Legion
    CC/CT/TB-4043 in the 501st Legion
    Check out Fragments from the Rim: a Star Wars Gaming and Costuming blog

Personally, I think PC is the most durable coloring option. I have seen some chipping on pieces but usually they are fairly well used and still look amazing, especially compared to paint.

Now compared with anodizing? No experience here...

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Powdercoating (PC) is incredibly durable when applied correctly. Without proper removing solvents, it is almost impossible to remove. Sanding it off takes forever... I should know. The only time Pieces I have PC'ed have chipped is when I didn't clean the hilt with acetone beforehand.

Anodizing is not very durable. It scratches and mars easily. Some colors are much more vibrant the PC though... Although, again, some newer PC colors match very closely to the look of Anodizing.

I never paint anymore. It isn't durable at all, chips easily, and takes forever to apply all the coats.
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...

I just had my Wife's new saber that I just built powder coated with Black Chrome....wow! it looks like blued steel and is a great finish. Actually Powder coating is getting to be the new standard for paint in alot of the auto industry (undercarriage, frames, engines and many other parts. In the antique motor hobbies (Concourse De' Elegance included) recognize powdercoating as viable , which doesnt hurt the judging or value of the vehicles in the least, it actually is more desirable. Here is apic of a project I built a few years back (it had been in the family for 30yrs, most of which was spent living with chickens in a metal roofed pole barn

I had my local powder coater (who I have been using over 10 yrs now) and had him coat the frame and sheetmetal in black gloss, the gas tank was supposed to be chrome originally (it was dented and pitted) so I had it PC's near chrome that looks like a very bright silver

Dang, that's a nice looking bike. How's it run?
    You should make a matching saber for it.
    ~ The Yin ~

“Yeah I’m pack’n heat! It’s to prevent anyone from making me cold.”

For the saber building Younglings and Padawans: Basic Saber Building and The Saber Building Dictionary!

Unfortunately life happens, and it went to a gentleman on ebay that drove all the way from Penn. to pick it up! & yes it was fast, the brand is the oldest continually produced cycle in the world " Royal Enfield" I think it took me 3 years of hand polishing, tracking down parts, fabbing alot of my own stuff and learning the concept of positive ground wiring (it's the exact opposite polarity as used in your saber..they used it in cars as well like Triumph and MG ...wrap you head around that one
    Last edited by DarthAlice; 02-13-2013 at 04:20 PM.

How hard is it to weather powder coating?

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Quote Originally Posted by YoRn Mangers View Post
    How hard is it to weather powder coating?
    For someone who is a Master of weathering? Or for someone who is just learning? I know a guy who some say is a Master...I could ask him
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

Powder coat does take a bit of work for weathering, I use a 400 grit sand paper (you have to sand on an are with some effort PC doesnt like coming off!)
    here is a pic of a stunt I did awhile back . I purposely dented up the tsuba, emitter and pommel before PC in semi-gloss black

This saber runs a 10 watt Ledengin GGGG with all dies running off of a 1000ma buckpuck and 4 14500's in series (voltage to the led puck reads 16volts! 700 lumen plus (I sold it awhile back, yes you can build them to be too bright)
    Last edited by DarthAlice; 02-14-2013 at 06:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Dottore Matto View Post
    For someone who is a Master of weathering? Or for someone who is just learning? I know a guy who some say is a Master...I could ask him
    I've just started my quest for knowledge on the subject. I'm more than happy to accept any sagged wisdom on the subject.