Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: multiple LED's

well, im not in any super rush to build it right now, just getting ideas on how i can accomplish it. i do have a couple of the parts prefabbed. like a holder for the sound board, ie.. but with the recent money i got, i am in the process of getting a rubies supreme vader costume. i have the fans, and the voice amp. i just won off ebay. just waitin for this last day for the auction to run down for the suit. if you remember the first lux i did was a vader/heiland saber? it will go great with the costume.

i remember you guys talking bout latching relays and such. i just wonder, if i used a relay, tapped into the momentary for the board, with the extra room i have, i could run another battery pack, i think, with ease, so it would run the deco leds off another battery pack, but still fire off from the single momentary, so everything fired up at the same time.

would that be possible gelu?

Hello All
    I am new to the forum and have been having a similar problem with decorative hilt LEDs. I was hoping someone with more electronics experience might have the answers. I have 2 5mm LEDs that flash blue-red-green that I am mounting in the hilt. I got them off of ebay to save a buck but of course they did not come with any tech data. From a little bit of trial and error I found that they seem to run fine on 6-9 volts with a small resistor(I dont remember the ohms off hand but it is a 1/4 watt). I am running all the LEDS(luxeon 3W included) in Parallel off of 4 AA bateries(6V) using one switch. Here is my problem. When switched on the decorative LEDs dim out completely. The Luxeon seems to be responsible because when I disconnect it the 5mm LEDs return to normal. I have done some tinkering and found that 8 AA batteries(12V) will solve the problem but I dont have that much room in the hilt. Is there anything I can do to keep the power constant to the 5mm LEDs while useing 6V? I really like their look and it seems a shame not to use them.
    Sorry to be so long winded but I was hoping that if I put out as much info on my set up as possible someone might recognize the error of my ways.
    Thanks

thats kinda what gelu was getting at when he replied to my first question. thats when i thought of the before mentioned latching relays. i DO have enough room in my hilt, since its a 4 cell. and i am pretty sure i can run another battery pack to power the deco leds off of. problem is, i dont know if a latching relay hooked up to the momentary switch that fires up the hasbro sound board/lux led, will fire up both at the same time. thats what im waiting to see if gelu thinks i can go that way with it, somehow.

ok going off what was said bout latching relays i whipped up another crappy diagram. is this the right way to hook up a latching relay to the momentary switch that fires the hasbro/lux led? i have room for a seperate bat. pack to run the regular leds off of.

i can get a relay off allelectronics in a spst n.o. type. i know pic is a bit small. but if i were to hook up the + and - wires to one end on the relay and then run the wires off the other end and hook + to one pole and - to other pole on the momentary switch would that then fire off the board and the relay together at the same time making the reg. leds and the lux/hasbro fire off together?

You dont know the POWER, of the dark side...

gelu, or anyone else, i really could use an answer to this last possible connection question. if this will work, then i can order a latching relay from allelectronics and get started, with the exception of waiting for the regular led holders and the led, lens/holder from tim .

in all my experience with LEDs, ive been working with them for about 2 years, ive gotten to know that if you wire 2 or more LEDs in a row that you shouldnt use a resistor. the other LEDs will act as a resistor. you can use a resistor later if you want if you think that the LEDs are too bright

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by LAN-ED-TUL

gelu, or anyone else, i really could use an answer to this last possible connection question. if this will work, then i can order a latching relay from allelectronics and get started, with the exception of waiting for the regular led holders and the led, lens/holder from tim .

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I can honestly say it's too small to read. I can't tell what it what.

<center>
    www.dewbackwing.com</center>

i cant get it any bigger. photobucket resizes it. i can email it to you and attach it. then someone can open it with the picture viewer and its bigger then.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...with-relay.jpg

I linked it because it's actually too big. Even at 75% the text was screwy.[xx(] I turned it around pretty quick so I didn't even examine it...

<center>
    www.dewbackwing.com</center>

yeah, that link back to it shows up broken up and blurry. i cant win for losin i guess.