Thread: AV Switch question

Default AV Switch question

I haver this switch here http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/16...itch-P470.aspx. Im not sure what to do with the screw down terminals. Should I clamp the wire then solder or remove the screws completely and solder. I am sure that just using the screws alone is the wrong way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by andyfairall View Post
    I haver this switch here http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/16...itch-P470.aspx. Im not sure what to do with the screw down terminals. Should I clamp the wire then solder or remove the screws completely and solder. I am sure that just using the screws alone is the wrong way to go.
    You don't have to solder the wires, just wrap the wires around the screws, which should be screwed all the way down - kind of like a loop. It should hold fine if you do it right. You could (and should) us a big piece of heat shrink over each terminal.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Really! I wouldnt have thought that would hold sufficiently. But go figure. So far building this has been a huge learning experience.

It'll hold if you do it right. Your thinking of pinching the wire with the screw, and I'm suggesting you wrap the wire around the screw instead. You'll just need a bit more exposed wire to do it my way.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."

OK so heres what I did. I fed the wire thru the hole then went up and around the screw, then tightend the screw down to hold it in place. Then a bit of heatshrink on each term. Sound good?

No. Screw down screw, feed wire through one side, and then back around the other. Twist together to make the loop. Then heat shrink. Also leave enough slack to avoid too ugh tension on the wires.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

ahh, ok