Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: LDM's Philanthropy challenge 2012

Me and the wife went through our clothes in storage and gave to the local homeless shelter coats that we no longer needed as well as shoes that we had that were practically new to the men and women of the shelter. We even helped out serving food to the homeless this past weekend, we have a good re-pore with the shelter since we donate there every year. We also will be sending care packages to the troops again this year since they deserve it for what they do. I also will be donating my time for Habitat for Humanity on the 15th here in Raleigh, NC.

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Quote Originally Posted by jin starkiller View Post
    Me and the wife went through our clothes in storage and gave to the local homeless shelter coats that we no longer needed as well as shoes that we had that were practically new to the men and women of the shelter. We even helped out serving food to the homeless this past weekend, we have a good re-pore with the shelter since we donate there every year. We also will be sending care packages to the troops again this year since they deserve it for what they do. I also will be donating my time for Habitat for Humanity on the 15th here in Raleigh, NC.
    The philanthropic spirit is strong in your family! Thank you for sharing!
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

Well, this kind of pales in comparison to some of the stuff that's on here, but I really like this thread and wanted to post something.

This year around tax time, I had finally accrued the funds to build my first custom saber. I approached LDM about a custom blade holder based off of some of his previous work after Tim turned the project down, and we agreed upon price and I got ready to ship the deposit.

Well, a couple weeks went by and he didn't hear from me, I was bogged down with finals for the quarter and my wife had taken ill, and I felt really guilty so I checked in to make sure he was up to date. He was super accommodating the whole time.

A couple weeks later I contacted him again, this time because I found out what was plaguing my wife: we were expecting. As excited as I was about this, I knew that this wasn't the time to be thinking about a $500 toy for myself, so I reluctantly had to cancel the commission. Again, LDM was incredibly understanding and he had no problem canceling the order. Still, I don't like to backpedal on my debts, so the whole thing didn't sit well with me. Then it hit me.

A few months before, my best friend had purchased a saber from Saberforge, and was really disappointed in the final product. After $400 he had a poorly wired (and really dim) amber led, a cheapo economy soundboard (with the annoying cutout in sound between ignition, hum, and clashes) and a finicky recharge port. After doing a lot of studying on these forums, I decided that if he bought the parts, I would upgrade the electronics for him. He gutted the saber and I took the empty hilt and sat on it for a few months, building up my tool set and waiting until he had the funds for the install.

It occurred to me that I could do right by the General by still giving him the business I originally approached him with and do something nice for my friend at the same time. I talked it over with my wife and she thought it was a good idea. Using the same funds from the comission I purchased one of LDM's pre-wired sound and light modules to install in my friend's saber, and also upgraded the blade and switch to a lit AV. All in all, I spent $110 of my own money for the project, and when I put it in his hands, he was thrilled. It didn't have all the bells and whistles that he would have spent his money on, but he got his money's worth.

It might not be much, but I feel good for doing it. That is it's own reward.

Council Member
    Sith Lord

I remember this. It is indeed a kindness and no less worthy a story than any of the others. It was a kindness, even if it was fun
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams

I am a member of a group called MOPS, that is mothers of preschoolers. a friend of mine lives in brooklyn and she posts on FB alot about the need of the people there since hurricane sandy. I asked the ladies in my group if they would be interested in donating winter clothes and other needed items for Christmas. They said yes and we have a truck full of stuff to send up next week!

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Quote Originally Posted by QueenTitan View Post
    I am a member of a group called MOPS, that is mothers of preschoolers. a friend of mine lives in brooklyn and she posts on FB alot about the need of the people there since hurricane sandy. I asked the ladies in my group if they would be interested in donating winter clothes and other needed items for Christmas. They said yes and we have a truck full of stuff to send up next week!

That is a very, very cool! I love it when people show the beautiful side of humanity!

Hey LDM, I'm writing this because i'm proud of my daughter and thought this was a good place to show it...My daughter had a brain tumar removed a about 4months ago, when she was recovering in the cancer ward of our local CHKD (Childrens Hospital of the Kings Daughter), she made friends w a few of the children threr that are fighting w cancer. Since we left my daughter has insisted on going to the cancer ward and playing w/ the children every saturday, keep in mind that shes only 4yrs old. So my wife or I will take her..We are so proud of her, she enjoys bringing the lightsaber that i made for her, one little boy is always excitedto sing that baby around. Again she has made me proud, and I wanted to share this. Thanx for starting this thread, so I can post this. moto_0654.jpg
    Last edited by shmoetech; 12-21-2012 at 09:55 AM.
    "A foolish man fights a fight he'll lose, and lose foolishly".

It always amazes me when kids are super awesome like this. *sniffle* She gets my vote.
    "Bacon and cheese>squeezed lemon." - FenderBender
    "But, ya know...rules are made to be broken." - Yoshi-Taka
    LDM's Recipe For Noobs. Totally Worth The Read.

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Thanks for sharing man. That is such a wonderful story!!!!! Good on her

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Not a philanthropy thing really I don't think, but I was getting starbucks the other day, and a guy started a "Pay it forward" deal in the drive through. You know, where you pay for the person's drink behind you, and he does the same for the guy behind him, etc....

Well, I have having a really bad morning, and to drive up and hear the guy say "The gentleman in front of you paid for your order." Turned that morning right around, and it was so fun to pay for the guy's drink who was behind me. I'll be starting one of those this morning.

I'd like to challenge everyone to go and start one of those wherever you like to drive through, you have no idea how much that little act of kindness can change a person's day.
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...