Thread: Physics project

Default Physics project

Good day everyone. I have a project for my physics class that requires the use of a lever, an inclined plane, a wheel and axle, a wedge, pulleys, screws, something wired in a parallel, and a magnet. I know that the light saber that I have previously built will cover some of the requirements. Since you guys are all geniuses I would really appreciate if you all could give me some suggestions for the project. I still want to incorporate my light saber. Thanks.
    Honey, you've been looking for love in Alderaan places!

Sounds like the Rube-Goldberg projects I have my physics students do, and the ones done for the Science Olympiad competitions...

If I understand correctly, the saber would have to ignite itself and accomplish something in return. If you have a mechanical lever to ignite the saber, it could shine on a photocell to create a separate circuit. Your saber, assuming you have light and sound, is a form of wiring in parallel. At this point, you'd use the sound and the light... The sound could be used to shake something down an inclined plane (if there's enough vibraton).

What about playing off the phrase "Use the Force!"? You could have some application to Newton's Law with the Force = Mass x Acceleration... I'm full of ideas, but I'd like to see what others come up with and I want a kind of confirmation on the type of project I am assuming you are working on...

p.s. Please post pics of your project's progress and the completed machine!
    Last edited by captain_mills; 11-29-2012 at 08:11 PM. Reason: added content - no double posting

Remember, your LED will ALWAYS look brighter in pics and vids... If you're not playing with it at night, it's not gonna impress you...

listen to the captain... he knows his physics...hey capt
    ....Don't fear the Reaper....
    ....He's just a Sith Lord that has lost his lightsaber....

Well, so far I have nothing. Haha I was thinking about possibly doing a wooden cart that uses the pedals to swing two sabers. I know that I can actually ignite the sabers myself. I would like to maybe see some more of your ideas Captain. Thanks

Hey Evilpancreas!!

Sorry man. Didn't mean to leave you hanging... I was still wondering if you're putting together a Rube-Goldberg or if your project has some other goal in mind. I wanted to know that before I proceed to give ideas. It may be too late now, and again I'm sorry. I got busy this last week. not my intention to forget about you...

Anyway, let me know exactly what kind of project you're supposed to do and I'll see if I can't throw some other ideas at you. I've seen a lot of RG's in my career, as well as other kinds of projects.

CMills

Remember, your LED will ALWAYS look brighter in pics and vids... If you're not playing with it at night, it's not gonna impress you...

Something more about the project? Did something?

I recently talked to my physics teacher and asked if I could incorporate my sabers. She said yes, as long as she could pull out the electronics and look at what I did. That's not possible because I put in a Vader economy board and that took about an hour to cram in there. As an alternative, I want to redo the entire saber and throw in a NB and possibly make the saber look better with a shroud. As long as I use my saber, I still need a lever, a inclined plane, a pulley, a wedge, and a wheel and axle. I honestly have no idea how to incorporate these simple machines, so any ideas would definitely be VERY helpful.