Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: inverter?

Quote Originally Posted by xwingband
    The inverter changes it from DC to AC I believe or the other way around. Yes, voltage matters but the sweet spot without taking away life of the EL is 12V.
    Since the input is a DC battery I'd bet that output is AC.
    So help me, if you make me sail a ship made of hobgoblin corpses across the ocean, I will find a way to make you pay. - Redcloak

Yes! DC in AC out.

simplified anyway

Like we discussed a while back there is a nice safety with running the TCSS 4khz inverter at 12 volts with whatever battery set up you want.
    I did a kids hilt that ran off of 4 Duracell 123 3 volt lithiums stacked in a pack.( now that was sweet, but the dude I did it for works at a supply house for electronics and can get batteries a haeck of a lot cheaper then me so let's not get in to the cost of powering that puppy )

I pretty much stick with doing aqua, lime and pink blades so they don't need the 18volts the way some other colors do.
    Red 5 "Move Dangit! I gots Snitz to blow up!"

So it's okay to run Tim's inverter on 18V? How much do the darker colors benefit from 18V?
    So help me, if you make me sail a ship made of hobgoblin corpses across the ocean, I will find a way to make you pay. - Redcloak

I have my youngest daughter's purple setup at 18volts and it is VERY NICE!!!

Tim's inverter will do 18volts fine but he is not going to warrent it due to being overdriven. As I am sure you know, ALL electronics are rated below what they can do to keep the legal side of things happy. Driving the inverter at 18 volts is the same as turning the gain up on a Marshall head to make the tubes get frisky. It does not damage the tubes but one would argue that the life of the tubes is shortened and I am all for replacing the tubes a little more often to get that beautiful sound.(Mi Gin knows what I'm talkin' bout )

Let's be reallistic for a sec. The inverter will take it and barring any water damage or some kind of massive amount of current being thrown at it the thing will last longer then any of us will be interested in playing with it. Same for the wire, it will most likely get dead spots from bends or shorts from broken insulation before it actually loses its lifespan.
    And they are both cheap and easy to replace.

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

Agree with James I do.
    Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

Quote Originally Posted by Strydur
    Agree with James I do.
    The Master has spoken.
    n00bies start here, PLEASE!!! Thread Index

Co-founder of Pencil Busters, Inc.
    PBI Forum Admin
    PBI Homepage
    PBI Forum

Default Wiring on the inverter

So my parts came in. Very cool btw. I like the MHS, easy to construct, good weight.
    However I have a tendency to get my wires crossed.
    On the inverter there are three pairs of wires. The battery part I get. The two white wires.
    One goes to the switch and one goes to the mono jack? Correct?
    Of the two black wires, one (with a white stripe) goes to the jack and the other goes to the switch? Correct?
    Other than that if I wanted to make this a 12volt, all I would have to do is get a AAA x2 battery holder and one of those three way 9volt plugs to make that happen. Right?
    Just want to make it right. Ya know. Any help would be much appreciated.

The two white wires go to the momo jack, the red wire goes tot he battery positive and on the three black wires look closely and you will see two black wires coming out of the inverter in the same place and one by itself. One of the two black wires goes to the battery negative and the remain black wires go to the switch one on each switch wire.
    ;

Do-Clo Custom Sabers
    http://doclocustomsabers.com/
    Replica Prop Artist

And life would be so much easier for you if you get Tim's 8 aaa holder and just clip that to the inverter.

Default Wiring on the inverter

Okay, thanks for the help.
    I was going to serialize a 2x AAA holder into the rig. 12 volts is better than 9.
    This inverter already has the connector to put the 9volt on. So really all I would have to do is take the AAA holder I have and connect it to the 9 volt via a three way connector like Tim has at the shop.
    Sound like I'm on the right track?