Thread: Cram-fu Question: Wire Routing Through Tubing?

Default Cram-fu Question: Wire Routing Through Tubing?

Hey all, hopefully this will be an easy question!

Finally getting around to assembling my personal saber (can't wait to show it off!), but I need some help with the wire routing and tubing. Working on the crystal chamber which will be in-between the sections for the CF and the section with the switches/RICE/Recharge port. Needless to say, I'd like the wires to be hidden. Using tubing without having threaded rod inside, how would you fix the tubing to the chassis disks? I'd like to have them sturdy enough for light dueling with my little guy, but not all gunked up with, say, JB Weld...

The crystal chamber is made from the typical M/M extension with slots. I think I will have some room for "gunk", if needed, since it won't be too visible through the rather thin slots in the part.

Thanks all!

Quote Originally Posted by TrypWyr View Post
    Hey all, hopefully this will be an easy question!

Finally getting around to assembling my personal saber (can't wait to show it off!), but I need some help with the wire routing and tubing. Working on the crystal chamber which will be in-between the sections for the CF and the section with the switches/RICE/Recharge port. Needless to say, I'd like the wires to be hidden. Using tubing without having threaded rod inside, how would you fix the tubing to the chassis disks? I'd like to have them sturdy enough for light dueling with my little guy, but not all gunked up with, say, JB Weld...

The crystal chamber is made from the typical M/M extension with slots. I think I will have some room for "gunk", if needed, since it won't be too visible through the rather thin slots in the part.

Thanks all!
    How about using tubing small enough to pass completely through the chassis disk holes? Or widening the holes to permit passage?

Also, have you looked through other users works that they've posted? I think Slothfurnace and Sunrider have both done sabers where they've had to disguise wires passing through the crystal chambers.
    The lightsaber hilt is capable of producing a blade of pure energy. The lightsaber hilt has proven to be completely safe. The saber blade however has not. Do not touch the operational end of the saber blade. Do not look directly at the operational end of the saber blade. Do not immerse the saber blade into your flesh, not even partially.

I thread the tubes Myself. 1 leg I thread both disc, the other two legs I thread 1 disc to match the tube then the other sides get nuts.

Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Starwaster View Post
    How about using tubing small enough to pass completely through the chassis disk holes? Or widening the holes to permit passage?

Also, have you looked through other users works that they've posted? I think Slothfurnace and Sunrider have both done sabers where they've had to disguise wires passing through the crystal chambers.
    Smaller tubing isn't an option in this case... with two lighted AV switches, recharge port, RICE port, and speakers, I'm counting a minimum of 14 wires needing to pass through the chamber tubing. The brass tubing sold in the shop is amazingly sturdy stuff compared to what I can get at Lowe's, but that also means that space is a premium inside them and I can just get five 28g wires through a single tube.

I like the idea of widening the wholes in the chassis disk, hadn't thought of that. My concern there is that I only picked up one of the new screw-in disks on my last order and I don't yet have a drill press. It would suck to screw up my only part, but I will experiment...

I have been looking through some build posts, I will keep searching for some good inspiration. Sloth tho? I think trying to replicate something he created would make my head implode!

Thanks for the tips, Kevin!

Quote Originally Posted by Ari-Jaq Xulden View Post
    I thread the tubes Myself. 1 leg I thread both disc, the other two legs I thread 1 disc to match the tube then the other sides get nuts.
    Now that was something I saw on a thread a while back, god only knows where... What size threads do you cut? I picked up a 10-32 die, but I don't have a die wrench. I tried putting it in a visegrips but either due to (lacking) technique or an incorrect size it didn't work well and I haven't revisited the idea. This may be the time!
    Last edited by TrypWyr; 12-27-2012 at 11:13 PM.

I have been looking through some build posts, I will keep searching for some good inspiration. Sloth tho? I think trying to replicate something he created would make my head implode!
    Quite possible! Especially when you've seen a bunch of his stuff, marveled at it, and then the next day he says something like, "Everything I've done before was just practice!"

And you're like...

Thanks for the tips, Kevin!
    You're welcome, good luck with your build!
    The lightsaber hilt is capable of producing a blade of pure energy. The lightsaber hilt has proven to be completely safe. The saber blade however has not. Do not touch the operational end of the saber blade. Do not look directly at the operational end of the saber blade. Do not immerse the saber blade into your flesh, not even partially.

Now that was something I saw on a thread a while back, god only knows where... What size threads do you cut? I picked up a 10-32 die, but I don't have a die wrench. I tried putting it in a visegrips but either due to (lacking) technique or an incorrect size it didn't work well and I haven't revisited the idea. This may be the time!
    !/4-20 You will also need to grind/file/sand the nut to be flush with the side of the disc. Get the die wrench. Right tool for the right job. Good luck

Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.