Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Biscotte design / configuration issues

Quote Originally Posted by Xevious View Post
    That switch is long and that bezel looks short. I was going to ask if your HS tubes on the switch solder points were adequately isolating the contacts from the body.
    I had heatshrink on the switch LED + side because i soldered the resistor to the prong, however i didn't do the negative side. I put a layer of electrical tape over the prongs before insertion into the body, however i have a feeling when i tightened the switch down it penetrated the tape.

My real question is why the hell the negative battery post on the recharge port is making contact with the pommel. Could this be a defect or is it by design?

Quote Originally Posted by DarthZero View Post
    I had heatshrink on the switch LED + side because i soldered the resistor to the prong, however i didn't do the negative side. I put a layer of electrical tape over the prongs before insertion into the body, however i have a feeling when i tightened the switch down it penetrated the tape.
    You'll want to use HS tubing to cover-up your bare connections. Electrical tape just falls off and makes a mess.

My real question is why the hell the negative battery post on the recharge port is making contact with the pommel. Could this be a defect or is it by design?
    AFAIK, it's not be design. It's either a defect or another short somewhere.

No, You probably didn't use heatshrink to cover your connections, or you wired the recharge port wrong. None of the posts should be touching anything.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by forgetful jedi knight View Post
    No, You probably didn't use heatshrink to cover your connections, or you wired the recharge port wrong. None of the posts should be touching anything.
    1 step forward and two steps back... i disassembled the switch section, unsoldered it, added heatshrink, resoldered and shrunk the heatshrink, problem was still there. At this point i was fuming but remembered i had a used recharge port. Upon further analyzing the installed recharge port, the piece of metal that is pushed away upon inserting the plug is like 1/16th too big and makes contact with the outer rim of the recharge port. I replaced it and VOLIA! Problem solved! ...until i went to screw the final two pieces together and the switch LED stopped working. Whatever, i'll figure that out later.

1 step forward and two steps back... i disassembled the switch section, unsoldered it, added heatshrink, resoldered and shrunk the heatshrink, problem was still there. At this point i was fuming but remembered i had a used recharge port. Upon further analyzing the installed recharge port, the piece of metal that is pushed away upon inserting the plug is like 1/16th too big and makes contact with the outer rim of the recharge port. I replaced it and VOLIA! Problem solved! ...until i went to screw the final two pieces together and the switch LED stopped working. Whatever, i'll figure that out later.
    Welcome to saber building.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Sigh...I hear that. I still find myself resolving two issues and finding or creating another. Mainly because I don't keep it simple and challenge myself. It gets easier though. Good luck.

One of the first things I was told by LDM and Gravy when I first started building was that it was all about the troubleshooting. That couldn't be any more true...but like CC said, it does get easier.

LED Saber Combat Master Instructor
    Co-Founder of Caine and Novastar's Saber Combat System (NCSCS)
    Life's short...saberplay HARD!

Quote Originally Posted by Caine Drathul View Post
    One of the first things I was told by LDM and Gravy when I first started building was that it was all about the troubleshooting. That couldn't be any more true...but like CC said, it does get easier.
    I am a network engineer / analyst by trade, so troubleshooting is natural to me. Unfortunately, the switch LED is most likely damaged, as i direct connected the 3.7v battery to it and it didn't light up. the heat shrink is still on and neither wire is loose.

This is my THIRD LED switch i've busted. Not happy :\

I am a network engineer / analyst by trade, so troubleshooting is natural to me. Unfortunately, the switch LED is most likely damaged, as i direct connected the 3.7v battery to it and it didn't light up. the heat shrink is still on and neither wire is loose.

This is my THIRD LED switch i've busted. Not happy :\
    What resistor did you use for it?

LED Saber Combat Master Instructor
    Co-Founder of Caine and Novastar's Saber Combat System (NCSCS)
    Life's short...saberplay HARD!

You could just go guarded mom switch in red. Just a suggestion though.
    "Your move!" -Obi-wan kenobi-