Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: TOR Sith Marauder - pic heavy!

Default TOR Sith Marauder - pic heavy!

Howdy folks! These characters caught my attention after seeing the TOR "Deceived" trailer, and I decided that if I can actually focus enough to make a costume, it'll be this one. So I took all the decent screencaps I could (not many, unfortunately, but the ones I have are fairly good, I think) and started examining, and figured I'd share them here for anyone else who's interested.

Firstly, the robe...

Fig 1
    The robe is probably the simplest part, as expected really. The sleeves are just below the elbow, and wide - the robe itself looks just big enough to close around the armour, and floor-length. Sleeves have red trim on the sleeves, probably about 2.5" for the first stripe, a 2" gap and .5"-.75" for the second stripe. Hoods are large, but there's not much extra space like on, say, Sidious's robe - the head is at the back of the hood. It doesn't look like there's anything to hold the robe closed, either.

The mask...
    Please excuse the barrage of pictures that follows.

Fig 2

Fig 3

Fig 4

Fig 5

Fig 6

Fig 7

Fig 8

Fig 2-5 show the best detail I'd have hoped for, really, and I continue to be amazed that they bothered putting it in, considering how hard it is to see when you're looking for it. The mask is really quite similar to Revan's in shape - I'm not sure whether that was intentional (whether the Marauders based their masks on Revan's, or vice versa) but it does seem to lend a bit more continuity. On a similar note, the later Mandalorian helmets also have that shape around the visor - perhaps relating to Canderous Ordo's admiration of Revan for beating them so thoroughly.

Some helmets seem unpainted, while one definitely has got red marks - perhaps a show of rank, or perhaps just customisation of armour. Not entirely sure, but the shapes are fairly clear in the pictures, particularly fig 7.

I was thinking (hoping) that it was just a mask, but it appears from fig 8 that it's full head - that one doesn't appear to be wearing a hood. If you intended to wear a hood though, I imagine it wouldn't matter if the mask was full head or just partial. This is the most daunting part of the costume for me, and possibly beyond my ability - I may use one of those full-face costume masks for decorating and build it up with epoxy putty.

Also note that the "nose" of the mask is higher than ones actual nose, so it won't hug the form of your face particularly well - another thing which makes it more of a helmet, I suppose. It is worth noting, though, that it doesn't look as though you would be able to remove it vertically - if it's whole head, it must be two-piece.

The detail of the masks is a bit odd - it looks like the sort you find on Victorian furniture. Maybe I'm missing something, but it looks good on the mask anyway - perhaps another "custom" feature, as some of the masks don't look that intricately decorated.

Now for Body and leg armour...

Fig 9

Fig 10

Fig 11

I'm starting to think they're giving these great high-detail slow-motion bits specifically for the costuming community - you just can't really expect any better than that, except possibly higher res. Anyway, the leg armour is outlined pretty well in these two pics - the head Sith's armour is just strapped on, rather than wraparound so I would assume that the rest are too - also, the kneepads are not poseable, they move with the shinguard. The shoes, I would recommend doing in at least two pieces overy ordinary shoes/sneakers to keep dexterity, if you want to use a hard shell at all.

The body armour is somewhat like the lead Sith's - it mainly consists of a chestpiece, with little protection for the abdominal region. There does seem to be a single plate (or two conected plates) underneath the chestpiece, to extend its length to the upper part of the abs without compromising mobility. The cod piece looks like it may be part of or attached to a kidney belt sorta deal, to help with abdominal protection. In fig 3 above, you can see that the neck protection is also scarce, just being one wide collar of the chestpiece. There's likely a leather gorget underneath though, or possibly an armoured one.

The gauntlets have probably been the toughest part to get clear pictures of, other than fig 9. The hard shell appears to end at the knuckles though, and it's just gloves after that - it does look like there's something on the fingertips, though I'm not sure what. It's hard to see, but I'm assuming the plate on the back of the hand is moveable seperate from the gauntlet, though they may be linked. This actually reminds me quite a bit of samurai bracers, which had a plate on the back of the hand attached to the bracers and no other hand protection IIRC - understandable that the Marauders would choose the same, given the similarity in weapons of choice. There is a clear pic of the lead Sith's bracers, though in fig 11, and I don't think it would be unreasonable to use detail from them to complement the others.

I'm going to try and get some drawings done to work out finer details. I don't have a scanner right now but I'll try and get them up somehow or other...

Hope someone finds use or interest in some of this!

Pete

Good share!

I'm sure a lot of people will wanna try making this.

One recommendation for the mask as a base is the Judoon Mask from doctor who.
    Gives you a good pretty much blank template to start on.

I'm using one for the base of a character in my fanfilm..

Check Ebay for cheap ones....
    XBOX 360 Gamertag AdeganBlue

Being so great, the owner of these wonderful forums and attached shop has filmed how to build an MHS hilt, here's the link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm_-BQb_-eY
    Is he just great to you all?

I am very interested in this. I'll be watching this thread closely, it's some sweet armor and I have all summer for some projects.

This is an awesome costume, and like Thazos I will be watching this!

(O_O)>o====7--------------------
    Join the dark side!
    ................When they're sleeping, take the browies and cookies and the IMAX TV and run!!!!!!!!!!!!

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Who?
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

You know, Thazos. Thaxos brother. lol I to will keep a close eye on this thread. That would be a cool costume.

Live long and...I mean May the force be with you. http://saberconcepts.50.forumer.com/index.php

Barmic - I'm not sure about Judoon, I think his helmet would jut out a bit too much... shame it's not just a bit more human head shaped Right now I'm considering building on a hockey mask, but ideally I'd want something that gave more coverage. I did see a mask from China on eBay that was basically just a blank full face mask - no mouth, nostrils, just eyes, several straps AND it was padded. It was hard plastic too, rather than the flimsy ones made from paper-thin plastic or latex. I don't think I'll be able to find a better base, but I think I'll be cutting nose holes if I do get one Essentially all it would need would be the buildup around the middle of the face to give the simulated cheekbones and the trapezoid shaped bit at the front - still more work than would be ideal, but doable.

All in all I've no idea how far I'll really be able to get in the armour - it's something that's always thrown me, and I've never done any casting, or even sculpting. I have always wanted to try fibreglassing, I've just never gotten round to it and I expect it'll be pretty expensive...

Pete

I wonder if this type of armor will lead to a battalion of marauders.
    Y'know, like the 501st? (The actual battalion, not the costuming group. Well, kind of the costuming group, too.)

Great pics.
    I'd like to get some of the Jedi armor from the cinematic, as well.

Good luck!
    "You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing."
    -Benjamin Franklin

If it ever goes for sale, I am buying it. No doubt!

yknow JLo already posted pics of some of these costumes as well as the Jedi made by the 501st/Rebel Legion right. even sanctioned by LFL from what I understood. Im waiting to see if those will ever be made available by the costumers that made them, but I will be keeping an eye on this thread