Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Disney buying Lucasfilm! (WTF)

You may be on to something, CC. Think about it: A Kickstarter project, funded solely by die-hard Star Wars fans, to raise the money it would take to film the sequels, but with creative control restricted to those who loved the films the way they were meant to be; the way they were before merchandising and breathing new life into an old franchise took the front seat.

"Hey, Hollywood! Here's $4B. Make the films right this time."

Hey, maybe they’ll remake the story of Anakin Skywalker:

The Clone Wars is a dark time for the Republic. The core worlds are being devastated by an army of clones from an unknown region in space. Ordinary men and women must leave their families to fight this alien menace.

In Episode I, we meet a young man by the name of Anakin Skywalker – mad, bad and dangerous to know. Gifted but headstrong, he leads his squadron of fighters against the incursion. In the chaos of war, he befriends a Jedi by the name of Obi-Wan Kenobi. As the Jedi are scattered and spread thin across the Galaxy, Kenobi takes it upon himself to train young Anakin in the ways of the Jedi.

In Episode II, Skywalker and Obi-Wan lead their army to many victories, liberating many core worlds from the evil clone army. During their adventures, an incredibly captivating woman falls for Anakin because he’s such a badass – romance ensues, and they elope. Word spreads of power culminating in the Chancellor’s office as dire political action is taken to support the war effort – we hear about this only through exposition because this isn't C-Span. Anakin’s battles bring him closer to the Dark side – hatred for his enemy fuels his victories.

In the final episode, the clone army makes its last big push on Coruscant. The battle is fierce, and it looks dire for our heroes. In the exchange, young Anakin believes his wife is killed. He goes full darkside. The clones are defeatd. Obi-Wan tries to redeem Anakin, but fails. They fight. Kenobi cuts his pupil up good, but is forced to retreat. At the end of the tale, Anakin is noticed by the Chancellor who gives him a new mission and name. The rest is implied. The end.

Hopefully it works out... we own a LOT of Disney shares...
    Corbin_Das: If I got a tattoo below my waist, it'd say "Found someone you have I would say, hmmmm?"

I'm personally excited for this. I don't have an opinion nearly as cynical as CC and think Disney has done wonders for Marvel. Besides, the Phase I movies were written and directed by Marvel itself, Disney really didn't have much to do with anything related to Phase I except that they kept their noses out of it, which is good.

As much as I enjoy the prequel trilogy just because it's Star Wars and I can ignore some of the really awful parts of it (the execution of order 66, midichlorians, the awful scripts, lack of plot, etc etc), I don't think it could be handled any worse with someone other than Lucas at the helm. I had settled into thinking the Clone Wars tv show would be the last redeeming thing to come out of the Star Wars universe, but now I have hope.

Disney's whole approach to Marvel has been pretty hands-off. I agree that the movies aren't perfect representations of the comic books, but the Marvel films have been pretty great as "stand-alone" media. My hope for this is that Disney continues to allow Lucasarts to take the creative lead with their projects. I also break from the pack a bit by hoping that they completely disregard the EU material, much of which I always felt was sub-par. I honestly think the worst thing that could come from the acquisition is that we see a Star Wars level in an upcoming Kingdom Hearts. If that's as bad as it gets, I'm on board.

On a side note, who wants to start a petition now to get Joss Whedon involved in future Star Wars films? I can't think of anyone else I'd rather see taking the reigns on this.

Edit: Oh oh oh and is anyone else at least curious about the possibility of Square Enix working with certain newly acquired Disney franchises OUTSIDE of the Kingdom Hearts context? A Square-Lucas collaboration might be something really special.
    Last edited by TimeRender; 10-31-2012 at 04:12 PM.

I wonder if the live action TV series will still be a go for 2013!

Slashfilm had a great article from the other day on what is known (and still unknown) about Disney's acquisition of Lucasfilm and what that entails for other Lucas-related projects (ILM, live action SW show, etc.).

http://www.slashfilm.com/your-questi...ars-episode-7/

Also, check out today's homepage article on what Mark Hamill knows! http://www.slashfilm.com/george-luca...r/#more-146218
    --------------------------Cadence--------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by TimeRender View Post
    Disney's whole approach to Marvel has been pretty hands-off. I agree that the movies aren't perfect representations of the comic books, but the Marvel films have been pretty great as "stand-alone" media. My hope for this is that Disney continues to allow Lucasarts to take the creative lead with their projects. I also break from the pack a bit by hoping that they completely disregard the EU material, much of which I always felt was sub-par. I honestly think the worst thing that could come from the acquisition is that we see a Star Wars level in an upcoming Kingdom Hearts. If that's as bad as it gets, I'm on board.

On a side note, who wants to start a petition now to get Joss Whedon involved in future Star Wars films? I can't think of anyone else I'd rather see taking the reigns on this.

Edit: Oh oh oh and is anyone else at least curious about the possibility of Square Enix working with certain newly acquired Disney franchises OUTSIDE of the Kingdom Hearts context? A Square-Lucas collaboration might be something really special.
    Avengers 2 and Star Wars 7 are both slated for 2015. That'd be an awfully busy year for him, heh.

As long as they don't mess with TCSS and and other smiths (or costuming groups) I don't care what they do with the story. My concern has more to do with the fans, and how Disney deals with fan efforts/ costumes, props, and that kind of thing. Copyright issues, intellectual property, etc.
    Follow Your Bliss

There's very little to gain from going after small communities such as ours, and far more to loose. For one, we are internet based...its too easy for information to spread through the internet now. If the saber sites were shuttered, it would be all over the media and the horrible PR backlash would cost Disney too much money.

They've left the Marvel fan costumer's/merchants alone. They've seen how a strong fan base can increase sales, so best not to attack them.

Everyone fear's the worst, but those fears are unfounded. Disney has attacked with litigation individuals in the past, but not communities of fans.

Everyone take a deep breath, it will all be okay and we'll get some new content out of it