Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Curved Saber Advantages?

Banned

Default Curved Saber Advantages?

Well, we have one thread for double-bladed, figured I could start a discussion on curved.

I bought this one a few months ago on Ebay:

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...ighlight=sekot

And I must say I find dueling with it to be most...perplexing. I can't get my angles of attack right nor figure out any cool fourishes. I think I honestly just prefer my standard 2 handed grip saber from Do-Clo.

Anyone have a functional curved saber wish to weigh in? How do you enjoy your hilt, and did you find mastering it to be more of a challenge? Have you dueled with it, and did it lend you any edge? Inquiring minds wish to know!

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

No idea... I don't like to use them.

The only thing I could see is having more of a hooking ability.
    But, yeah, give me a straight hilt over a curved any day...
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...

well, generally,they are supposed to be used primarily with the wrist. it allows for more motion with a smaller effort of movement, that i ofcourse there is proper counterweight on it.
    Prepare for major PWNage.

If you need any help with anything, whatsoever, click here. This should help you.

Definition of n00b- Here.

I plan on building a curved hilt saber in the near future. I bought me and my son a couple of those cheap hasbro toy sabers a few years back and the one I purchased for myself was the Dooku. I absolutely loved it. I thought it felt more natural. I think the cuved hilts roll better when you're spinning them. (Conan style moves). I also think you can control your attacks and parries better, by using your dominant hand at the top of your hilt to push you saber forward and you non-dominant hand at the bottom of the hilt or on the curve to pull your saber back simultaneously. You have a push/ pull thing going on. I also believe you have a stronger thrust with the curved hilts. The curved hilts in a way reminds me of a pistol grip on a fencing foil, even though its unconventional the pistol grip gives you more control of your foil in my opion.
    Last edited by Darth Midian; 10-20-2009 at 01:38 PM.

I'm doing a curved hilt at the moment.

Thinking about how my current saber moves I think you need to change the style in which you wish to "fight".

Dooku's style is quite like fencing at times and you hold the curved saber on the curve which gives you an angle similar to that of fencing.

Maybe try that and or a reverse grip. When you hold a straight hilt in a reverse grip the blade will be quite close your elbow. The curved saber would be deceptive in striking range in this position as you can angle your wrist to keep it close or further.

Now you saber wont allow for this as the activation and epoxy design prevent it but I would, if changed my hand position to the bottom of the hilt, be able to whip the saber around. And because my hilt is long at 14-15ins I could have an orthodox grip high on the saber.

I've designed mine with an idea of creating odd angles of attack and mixing things up a little.

But that's just my thoughts.
    Obi-Wan: "If you spent as much time practicing your saber techniques as you did your wit, you'd rival Master Yoda as a swordsman"

Anakin: " I thought I already did"

Obi-Wan: "Only in your mind, my very young apprentice"

It's the weilder, not the weapon. It's how you use it, A man holding a fork could kill and man holding a sword.
    New to the forum: READ, READ, READ! it's the best way not to get flamed.
    Time for a kirby dance <('-'<) (><) <('-')> (>'-')> (>'-'<)<('-'<) (><) <('-')> (>'-')> (>'-'<)

So very true Sairon.

Quote Originally Posted by Sairon View Post
    A man holding a fork could kill and man holding a sword.
    really? really?

honestly? for real?

is the guy with the sword in a wheel chair?

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Midian
    So very true Sairon.
    don't encourage him.
    if you are new these links will get you started

tutorial on ohms law!!!
    the saber building dictionary-a dictionary with basically everything about sabers!
    thread index-this is the thread index!
    the basic saber building tutorial-tutorial for making basic hilts!
    start here if new-start right here if your brand new fresh out of the factory never before opened noob!

Quote Originally Posted by astromech_kuhns View Post
    really? really?
    honestly? for real?

is the guy with the sword in a wheel chair?

Anyone who knows anything about fighting knows that to be true. The weapon is a tool, and what matters is how it's used.

For example, give a desk worker a baseball bat and put him against, say, an unarmed Bruce Lee. It's no question who's going to win. Bruce Lee would take him apartment like a Lego set. It's about skill, not who has the better weapon.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Take him...... apartment?
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!