Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: placing speaker by blade emitter

Holes can be hidden in a number of ways. They could be concealed in a black background (in flutes covered by a shroud), or just on a black background, or carefully concealed in a grenade section, which would let come sound out. Acerocket's Obi-TPM comes to mind, I believe that's how he did his. The holes could be a design element of a saber (which I am doing in an upcoming saber).

It can be done, you just have to be creative.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

It's also the case that Tim offers many custom machining services that could be used to create sound vents. If using a choke for a sound chamber, for example, you could get slots cut into the choke section. The only drawback there, aside from the increased cost, is the potential delay in availability; sometimes custom services are on hold if the backlog gets too long.

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Quote Originally Posted by Jay-gon Jinn View Post
    Which was also pioneered by a prominent member of our community. He just didn't give it a fancy name.
    Yeah, but he is an unassuming fellow.
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

Quote Originally Posted by BlessedWrath View Post
    It's also the case that Tim offers many custom machining services that could be used to create sound vents. If using a choke for a sound chamber, for example, you could get slots cut into the choke section. The only drawback there, aside from the increased cost, is the potential delay in availability; sometimes custom services are on hold if the backlog gets too long.
    Indeed
    As an example, here is a custom mill service I've requested to Tim :

2 rows of 8 holes in the ribbed extension and in the choke, and a reverse sound setup.

And yes, in my case, credits go to LDM as I took one of his saber as inspiration and example for Tim.
    Thanks LDM
    Clicky Sig =>

Quote Originally Posted by Jay-gon Jinn View Post
    Which was also pioneered by a prominent member of our community. He just didn't give it a fancy name.
    I always thought it was called "The Jay-Gon rumble"

LED Saber Combat Master Instructor
    Co-Founder of Caine and Novastar's Saber Combat System (NCSCS)
    Life's short...saberplay HARD!

Drilling or cutting holes in a ribbed or grenade section and covering them with an overlay is one of the cleanest ways to conceal holes IMO. You can also use the same method with any of the extension/body parts with lathed grooves. And yes as a custom work fee you have them lathed in which ever pattern or spacing you like.

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal Chambers View Post
    Drilling or cutting holes in a ribbed or grenade section and covering them with an overlay is one of the cleanest ways to conceal holes IMO. You can also use the same method with any of the extension/body parts with lathed grooves. And yes as a custom work fee you have them lathed in which ever pattern or spacing you like.
    Plus we have a perfect example with your amazing saber Mantis (also a great source of inspiration)
    Clicky Sig =>

I had always looked at drilling/milling holes or cutouts in sections like that with a critical eye. I know how sturdy MHS parts are, but it seems like a lot of holes in chokes or emitters would structurally weaken the parts (at least somewhat). I don't know, since I haven't had that service done, but my overly cautious nature causes me to wonder if it would be duel-worthy. Then again, I've only made one saber. I would defer to the experts on that one!

When I was planning my first saber, I definitely wanted the sound in the emitter. Because I had never done anything as intricate or complex as a saber before, I opted for the traditional sound setup. Next time, perhaps. Can anyone comment on the structural integrity issue?

Drilling small holes is unlikely to adversely affect the structure of your saber, even if you do several holes. You have to cut out a sizable chunk (like in the Starkiller-type sabers) before you weaken MHS parts enough that they're not duel worthy.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

If I remember right, This was reintroduced into the saber community only after a year or so of it's origin by a member named DJtheinventorofeverthingalreadyinvented. Of course it wasn't quite as exciting when he did since it was like the 100th install after the original.
    I could be all wrong about this though.