Thread: Choke 1 Short, and Ribbed extension v-grooved

Default Choke 1 Short, and Ribbed extension v-grooved

Hi guys,

I'm back for another saber build.

Just wanted to check on some part fittings.

First, will a 1 inch blade fit inside of the Choke style 1?
    I want to cut slots in the choke, and have the light showing through. The description says 'Tapers down from 1.45" to 1" and then back out to 1.45".'
    Is that the inside or the outside diameter?

Second, will the "New style" heat sink fit properly inside the V-grooved extension?

Here is a pic of what I'm planing on.
    SaberBuilder_render_next.jpg

I want to put the LED at the V-Groove extention, then have the blade come all the way down to it.

Thanks for the help,
    The Yin

I don't think it will...but you could maybe file it down or work something out. Not sure. I'd guess the 1.45" to 1" is the OD. The standards ID of MHS parts is about 1.25" so if the ID was 1.45" I think it'd be a lot thicker than the rest of the saber.

The design looks great! Hope you can figure it out.
    "We don't have to win. We only have to fight." - Mace Windu (Shatterpoint)

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Those are OD's. A 1" blade will not fit inside the choke.
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

Well then ...

Thanks for the quick replies. I woke up this morning and checked this on my phone. Still on my phone.

So, this only means one think, I'll have to do this differently.

So, from the top. My blade LED and blade will stay at the blade holder, where they should be.
    But, I will still need some light in the choke.
    Got any ideas?
    I'm thinking maybe an accent led mounted right below the choke.

I've seen a lot of crystal chambers in hilt but I don't think something like that can fit in the choke.

I'll look some more when I'm on the computer later, but if anyone has done this, please help.

Thanks again for the quick replays
    The yin

A lot of people like crystal chambers in the choke, but it's a very tight fit. I would get some kind of diffuser and stick it in there, so that an accent LED or similar device throws the light out of the choke slots. Either that, or you could "back-vent" the light from the LED. My V2 New-Style Heat Sink does let out some light from the six holes drilled through it. If those holes were widened, and some kind of semi-reflective (mylar?) ring were placed around the top of the casing, maybe there would be enough light to illuminate the choke. I have not seen it done, but I'd wager it's at least possible, with the right combination of techniques.

Real and "fake" crystal chambers have been done on in chokes before. I strongly recommend that you take your time and go through the gallery and check out the tons of different builds that are on display there.

I know that in a build I have going on, I will be doing one of the above (fake or half chamber) in a choke section. It all depends on space. Also keep in mind you will have wires running through there as well.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Alright,

Thanks for the info everyone.
    This is not a high priority project, so I'll be able to take my time and get it the way I'm envisioning. That's part of the fun in making costume sabers.

Thanks,
    The Yin

Council Member
    Sith Lord

A good one to search for is Unghia. I know the guy who made it. Vader's Vault pioneered the technique. There are tons of examples other than Unghia posted here.
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!