Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: nanobiscotte resistor question

Default nanobiscotte resistor question

Man, this board is so much smaller than I expected. It's pretty awesome.

In this experiment of mine, I see that it asks for 1 cell lion, if I get a two cell holder and use a dummy cell, will that get me the same result effectively?

Also, would using a BuckPuck 1000mA, be better than using a resistor?

Council Member
    Jedi Master

What LED are you using?

Most pucks don't work with less than 5V

If you're new, please take the time we all consider just as precious as you and READ!

GET LATHED!

Official BMF and LORD OF THE STRINGS

Not sure, I think its 5w, I'll find out when i get inside.

Since this board is esd (I'm still new to it), are people using an anti-static wrist strap or anti static mats? Does it matter?

In my opinion, using a buckpuck would NOT be better in this case. Also depending on which color LED you have the resistor you need could be minimal, as the blues, greens, whites are close to the voltage of a single cell battery (3.7V)

Also if you search around for an 18650 single cell holder, you can use that with your NB depending on your saber design.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

could using a dual holder/ speaker combo with a dummy cell work? I was initially planning on using a dual lion 14500, then upon closer inspection thought that using a single 14500 + dummy cell would work.
    Last edited by whitmers; 10-21-2012 at 02:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by whitmers View Post
    could using a dual holder/ speaker combo with a dummy cell work?
    Yes. But again, your run time will be less with 14500's vs. an 18650.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by forgetful jedi knight View Post
    In my opinion, using a buckpuck would NOT be better in this case. Also depending on which color LED you have the resistor you need could be minimal, as the blues, greens, whites are close to the voltage of a single cell battery (3.7V)
    And if that resistor value is small enough (less than 0.5 Ohms), then you can you can use the Drive feature on the board and not need the resistor at all. But like FJK said it will depend on how much voltage your led will need. See pg. 17 of the Nano manual for more details.

Welcome to saber building. You've taken your first step into a larger world.

"Don't get the idea that your [lightsaber] is a quick little project to be slapped together." - Luke Skywalker

its purple so red and blue I guess, and the LED is from an older ultra saber

Quote Originally Posted by whitmers View Post
    its purple so red and blue I guess, and the LED is from an older ultra saber
    With that particular LED and the hilt it was pulled from, I am guessing it was originally powered by 6V. So in that case, because the NB is only meant to take a 3.7V battery, you are not going to get the same purple that you did when it was powered by 6V. You are going to have to experiment to get it to the color that you want.

LED Saber Combat Master Instructor
    Co-Founder of Caine and Novastar's Saber Combat System (NCSCS)
    Life's short...saberplay HARD!

I learned one powerful lesson so far... that the quality of the soldering iron can make a big difference. I hope I haven't irrevocably gummed up my board with solder since it dribbled in the wrong spots. bleah.