Thread: How to build a TCSS BR, MHS, with charging port and crystal chamber????

Default How to build a TCSS BR, MHS, with charging port and crystal chamber????

Ok so, go hard or go home! Trying to fit everything here and the MHS builder needs more work. They need to add every part in there for a quick check to make sure everything fits. That being said, I'm trying to make a slothfurnance inspired crystal chamber that has all the effects as well as battle ready. After searching, I still have yet to found a good reference point of where to start or if I'm really lucky, a tutorial for what I'm trying to create. Some sabers with crystal chambers have parts that TCSS does not sell. Does anyone have a way to assist me or at the very least point me in the right direction?

As always, may passion give you strength.

Quote Originally Posted by Extremebeans View Post
    Ok so, go hard or go home! Trying to fit everything here and the MHS builder needs more work. They need to add every part in there for a quick check to make sure everything fits. That being said, I'm trying to make a slothfurnance inspired crystal chamber that has all the effects as well as battle ready. After searching, I still have yet to found a good reference point of where to start or if I'm really lucky, a tutorial for what I'm trying to create. Some sabers with crystal chambers have parts that TCSS does not sell. Does anyone have a way to assist me or at the very least point me in the right direction?

Interesting way to make an entrance... anyway, first question... Have you ever built ANY type of saber before?
    If you haven't, the "go hard or go home" mentality will probably hurt when you first run into that brick wall.

Now some random words of wisdom for you...
    1. Join FX-Sabers, some of the information you seek is available over there.
    2. Sloth's stuff is custom made (and hand made) by him, so unless you have your own machine shop, you are going to find it incredibly difficult to "replicate" what he did. Even for some of the best smiths, it's a challenge. Also "high end" sabers usually are best for light to moderate duelling, not heavy battle.
    3. Putting down the stores's MHS builder isn't a good thing to do, it was done on a volunteer basis by a member here.
    4. Creativity is a big part of what goes on in this hobby, especially once you get to the advanced levels. What Sloth did represents that "creativity".

TCSS is for the DIY'er who is either starting out, or doesn't have access to a whole machine shop to make their own stuff. There will be a lot of skills you would need to acquire. Try looking through LDM's guide for beginners, that would be a good place to start. Also as a warning, this does tent to be an EXPENSIVE hobby to get into.

Good Luck!
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

The MHS builder is a very useful tool. Nearly all of the part measurements are available if you search for them, so you should be able to determine if your components will fit.

For a slothfurnace inspired crystal chamber, you'll likely need several things. I believe he used a bunch of dismantled hard drives, supplies from a hardware store, and an assortment of machining tools. Also, he used years worth of experience of prop-making and an excellent attention to detail.

Building your own saber is as much an art form as it is an exercise in technical skills. A little bit of electronics knowledge and soldering skills are all that is necessary to make a functional saber. Making one that looks amazing will take patience, artistic ability, and patience. I always recommend starting out with a simple saber first, to get your feet wet. You can always upgrade an existing saber with more bling later. This hobby is addicting, and so long as your first experience is a positive one, you'll find you can contantly improve your skills with each successive saber.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

I would echo the sentiments of the two above...

I've been in this hobby for about what... 5 years now?
    And I have only *just* made my first spring loaded crystal chamber reveal-type saber.
    Having your own machine shop (or access to one) helps tremendously, however, there are plenty here who make due (quite nicely I might add) with just a Dremel Tool and the standard MHS parts. Planning out things is your best friend. If you're seriously considering doing a Slothfurnace type saber, then I would suggest following his gorgeous in-build pictures for help and guidance.

-C
    LOCKHEED

Thank you all for your generous feedback. I'll search fx-sabers again, maybe a little more closely the next time around. I'll be sure to keep a journal for a future post of step-by-step instructions for an elite saber with a crystal chamber attachment. So far I have seen two and read about four. Not sure which way I'll go, but I'll be sure to keep this thread posted.

I think its great that everyone here gets involved to help each other out as well as other websites and by no means was I trying to "put down" the stores MHS builder. It never hurts to polish

Last edited by Extremebeans; 10-15-2012 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Typo