Thread: Need help solving a few issues.

Exclamation Need help solving a few issues.

It's been about 2 years since I've been on the site and decided I need a new Saber. I have the Build idea, but I have some issues I was hoping you guys could help me with before I order up everything.

saber 9.JPG saber 9b.jpg

So that is what I would like to build (pic1). My first question is where the heck could I mount the speaker? I was thinking between the crystal chamber and the short choke, but I would need one of those spacer rings correct? I saw in another post I could take some pvc and use it as a speaker mount with a little glue.

My second is, is it possible to mount the sound board (old MR luke sound board) in the long choke section? A buddy suggested making a groove to slide the board in, but with the aluminum being not as substantial there, would I be able to make a deep enough groove without cutting through? The ID is about 3/4 inch I believe and the sound board is about 7/8 or a little less.

If this all can be done, I plan on having the sound board near the pommel, the battery pack run the length from the grip to the other choke, and the speaker mounted near the chamber as mentioned above. Unfortunately I think I will have to replace the pommel with one that has a spot for an on/off as I dont see any other spot with the room to mount one.

I'm pretty sure this will be built either way, but I just wanted some feedback from you guys with any suggestions you may have. My first saber was nothing special and I would really like to make this one stand out.

Thanks all!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi!,

Can't be sure about the other questions, but I can help you on whether the MR board fits in an unmodified version of the choke. I'm working on a saber with this choke right now and since I happened to have an MR board handy, I went and checked and here's what seems to be the case in an unmodified version of the choke: one of the two sides (the one with male threads) goes directly out of the taper with an aperture that looks to be about .75" and the board won't fit in there without pretty heavy modification. The other end has a section with a female thread set and has about 1" of area where it is the same inner and outer diameter as a standard MHS piece, but it then shrinks down to the same size as the ID on the other size when you get to the section that tapers down, so I don't think you can stuff an MR in there without modifying your layout. The hitch with the long choke (as I found out) is it can be a little tricky to avoid getting the lengths on wires that have to pass through the choke either too long or too short (one also has to adjust for the amount of twist they get as one assembles the thing and be sure they have enough room to bypass anything else positioned in the choke...). Does this mean you can't make this work, not at all. I think its a very unique piece with very interesting possibilities both in the silhouette and the ergonomics, it just means a little fancy footwork and lots of planning, just like every other saber seems to require. Look forward to seeing this one get built.

Johannes