Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Andrew's personal saber

omg that's definitely a big "WOW" impression I got when first looking at you saber, excellent work (and great design)
    Clicky Sig =>

man that is a well designed saber....looks great
    "A foolish man fights a fight he'll lose, and lose foolishly".

I love that "box"! That has to be a found item like off a vacuum right?

Sorry,CC, it's not a found object. I do my initial design and layout in AutoCad - shroud templates, internals modeling, etc. - so the box was done that way too then emailed it off to the 3d printing company. I had to guess on the rake over the blade holder because I didn't have one, but it came pretty close to matching up... I designed in a two holes for retention screws locations (which had to be drilled out to size), a slot for wires (which should have been bigger, as you pay by volume and type of material) and a small shelf for the card insert to lay on. It's heavy, too...

It's a fantastic design. I don't see too many 3d-printed parts on sabers, but the company you chose did an excellent job (and so did you).

My only nitpick is that the grey coloring on the shroud looks like primer, and so it kinda looks unfinished (to me). It may look different in person. That's only my opinion though, and if you like the color scheme, then by all means enjoy your saber.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

It actually is primer... 4 coats, sanded between coats w/ a satin clear coat. The clear coat has a texture to it, which is what may make it look gritty or unfinished. I thought white, my wife liked the grey...

Just came across this post and im drooling!

I like it. the box is very much 'part' of the saber. It has a nice heft - from what I could tell in the video. It must feel solid to wield.
    I read about you breaking drill bits. for sheet metal I use a Roper & Whitney #5 Jr. Punch . I use it a lot when making SCA armor. You might be able to buy a knock-off from harbor freight for cheap.

Thanks. It's hefty - makes a nice paperweight (and cat toy). A year of "use" has revealed a few things I wish I had done differently due to "field conditions", but that's the way every project goes.

Looks great! Have you thought about doing the copper powder coat on the emitter too? Might unify the unpainted emitter into the overall design? I really like that shroud!
    "We don't have to win. We only have to fight." - Mace Windu (Shatterpoint)